Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (1953)

IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (1953)

Dig classic monster, horror & sci-fi flicks? Come howl at the moon with everything from Universal Monsters to low-budget fright fests. Don't forget the garlic and keep watching the skies!

Moderator: Xenorama

Postby Afa Dollah on July 2nd, 2005, 2:49 pm

IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE
1953 B&W (3D) 81 min. Universal Studios
Dir. Jack Arnold
Richard Carlson – John Putnam
Barbara Rush – Ellen Fields
Charles Drake - Sheriff
Russell Johnson - George
Kathleen Hughes - Jane
Joe Sawyer - Frank
Screenplay by Harry Essex, Story by Ray Bradbury

DVD by Universal Studios
http://www.universalstudios.com/home

You know, every now and then your little brother does something that almost makes you sorry for all the horrors that an older brother can dole out over a lifetime of abuse. Almost. And one of those moments occurred for me on Christmas morning when it became clear my brother had decided to get me some DVDs, and that one of them was IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE. Another one was ONE MILLION YEARS B.C., but that’s a tale for another time. With two movies like that in my fist and shredded gift-wrap at my feet, I almost got a tear of brotherly emotion in my eye. Almost. Then I remembered when the little bastard snuck up behind me, clonging me in the noggin with one of those hard metal garden rakes. Not a flimsy leaf rake, the hard metal one. Dad was surprised it didn’t bend, even so. In any case, this was an excellent gift and elicited an apology on my behalf for telling him that rabbit droppings were chocolate flavored Trix. Why? Because this is a GREAT movie, and there’s no denying it.

IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE is based on a story by Ray Bradbury, who wrote an extensive treatment for the film, and is one of the greatest science fiction writers of all time. It deals with an alien ship that accidentally crashes to Earth. In order to effect repairs on their ship, the aliens are forced to take over human forms. Even though this is a pretty common plotline in science fiction today, IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE was the first movie to use this theme and it’s still extremely effective, even without the added thrills a pair of 3D glasses would give you. It was the first 3D science fiction movie produced, and the first 3D wide screen feature as well. The production values, direction, acting and writing are all top-notch in this one; it makes me wonder what the hell happened to Hollywood.

The film opens with amateur astronomer John Putnam and fiancé the tender morsel Ellen Fields stargazing outside his house near Sand Rock, AZ. A huge fireball streaks through the air and crashes near an old mine several miles away. We see the enormous fiery crash and tons of rocks are thrown into the air! And, at the bottom of the smoking crater, a colossal glowing ball of hexagons! One of them slides open, revealing the interior of an alien ship! The power goes black, we hear breathing…but not human breathing. We get our first view of the Xenomorph, a hideous alien. Alien point of view shot-we see the world through a shimmering, pulsing enormous single eye! The alien leaves a glittering trail as it passes through the hostile desert.

The next morning, Putnam and Ellen have hired a helicopter to investigate the crater. Putnam descends into the crater and clearly sees the alien ship. Something is moving inside! Then the doorway slides shut and an avalanche buries the ship beneath even more tons of rock. Putnam barely escapes, but climbs out and tells Ellen and the pilot what he saw. The sheriff and local newspaperman arrive and scoff at Putnam’s story. Putnam and Ellen fly back to the pilot’s base, another nearby town. Putnam calls an expert, Professor Snell from the observatory.

As Putnam and Ellen drive back to Sand Rock, something is watching them. It seems to follow them along the phone lines. They suddenly see an alien in the road and screech to a halt. They see nothing, but the shimmering, pulsing Eye watches.

Later, the military and media are checking the crater. Putnam meets Snell, who tells him it is an ordinary meteor crater. There is no radioactivity, Snell’s assistant informs them. The sheriff, who looks after Ellen like she was a daughter, warns Putnam to leave her out of his wild stories in case it threatens her job as a teacher.

Ellen and Putnam drive back to town and stop where they saw the alien earlier. They see nothing, but run into Frank (Joe Sawyer) and George (Russell Johnson) who are linemen for the phone company. Frank says there are strange noises on the wire. Putnam listens briefly, but the eerie sound fades. He asks the linemen to keep an eye out for anything strange, like hideous aliens looking to take over their shapes.

Frank and George are driving back to town; George has a hot date with Jane. They see a Xenomorph in the road and brake quickly. Frank and George exit the truck in fear and flee the pulsing, shimmering Eye! A thick fog engulfs a screaming George.

Putnam and Ellen decide they have explored long enough and go back along the road. They find the abandoned phone company truck, and follow the glitter trail into the desert. The Eye is watching. George appears, acting strangely. Putnam sees an arm sticking out from behind a rock. George tells them Frank is fine. They leave. Putnam thinks Frank is dead. They decide to go for help.

Frank wakes and sees George. George wakes and sees himself! The alien tells them they can assume other forms and not to be afraid. They will not be harmed.

Putnam and Ellen go to the sheriff and bring him back to the site, but the truck is gone and there is no sign of Frank or George. The sheriff is angry. Ellen is in trouble with the school for missing work, dammit!

Later, Putnam sees Frank and George getting equipment in town. He follows them down an alley and confronts them. The aliens warn him to stay away. They have crashed on Earth accidentally and need time to repair the ship. If they are interfered with, there will be horrible consequences! The Xenomorphs assure him the others are safe.

Some prospectors have been working the old Excelsior mine. They remark that the mine is making strange sounds since the meteor crashed through into the lower levels. They wonder if a cave in is imminent. They go in to investigate, and the Eye closes in! The alien fog engulfs them!

Putnam gets a message to see the sheriff. Frank’s wife and George’s girlfriend Jane (Kathleen Hughes-hotter than Rangoon in July and twice as sultry) are concerned. The boys aren’t acting themselves and have taken their clothing! The women leave, and Putnam gives the sheriff the message from the aliens. He agrees to wait and give the aliens time, but he’s not happy about it. Not only are the miners missing; no one can find Prof. Snell or his assistant, either. They find the observatory truck at the crater. No one is there.

Ellen is driving through the desert. There’s someone in the road! It’s Frank! He gets into the car and orders Ellen to drive to the mine. Ellen has been taken by the Xenomorphs!

Putnam is at the Sheriff’s when he gets a phone call. The aliens have Ellen! They drive to the crater. Putnam sees Ellen and follows her to the mine. The aliens speak from the darkness. They are repairing their ship. The humans are safe, unless they are interfered with. They need only a few more hours and will leave. Putnam refuses to believe them unless the aliens reveal themselves. The aliens know humans would be horrified by their appearance and would try to destroy them, even though they “have brains and souls and are good.” Putnam insists, and the Xenomorph reveals itself! Putnam reels back in shock and horror. He wanders back to the sheriff in shock, and tells him the aliens are in the mine. The sheriff agrees to wait, and they go back to town. There is a glitter trail in Putnam’s house, and his clothes are gone! The trail fades as he watches.

Putnam and the sheriff see Frank on the street, and the sheriff, having lost all patience with the situation, starts to confront the alien, but Putnam restrains him and Frank flees. The sheriff angrily rounds up men for a posse. Putnam steals the sheriff’s car and speeds away to warn the aliens! Frank is driving back to the mine when the posse blocks the road and shoots him! The truck crashes and burns.

Putnam arrives at the mine and enters. He sees Ellen, who almost lures him to his death in a deep chasm. The aliens believe he has brought the mob upon them. She attacks him with an alien death ray! He shoots her and she falls into the chasm, disappearing into the underground river at the bottom. The posse nears the mine.

Putnam finds the aliens working on their ship. One of them has his form! They have aimed their power source into the earth! Their only hope to escape the mob is to cause worldwide calamity! Putnam convinces them to give him one last chance to stop the mob. They aim the source back into the ship. He takes Ellen and the other captives back through the mine to stop the posse. The aliens morph back into their hideous shapes.
The humans exit the mine and dynamite the entrance to seal it off from the mob.

The posse arrives to find everyone safe. The earth begins to shake, and the ship exits the crater and flies into space! The aliens have gone, but one day, when the time is right, they’ll be back.

This is just a tremendous movie, and the DVD is loaded with some great extras: The Universe According to Universal, an original documentary on IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE. Feature commentary with film historian Tom Weaver. Photograph and poster gallery. Theatrical trailer. Production notes. Cast and Filmmakers. The commentary is really interesting, I watched about half an hour and plan on finishing it. Great stuff about the locations and miniatures, and lots of behind the scenes trivia.

And even though this is most definitely NOT a B Movie, on the Official Afa Dollah B Movie Rating Scale, IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE gets: A BIG THUMBS UP, BABY! Check this one out!
Last edited by Afa Dollah on July 3rd, 2005, 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

Postby Lunkenstein on July 2nd, 2005, 5:04 pm

Can't tell you how much I'm enjoying your reviews guys. Thanks for posting them here. I love these films and reading the write-ups is a joy. Another great job Afa. I'll comment more later. :happy1:
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

TCM

Postby Xenorama on July 2nd, 2005, 5:34 pm

just watched this movie on TCM, and it really is fun. exciting without being gratuitous, not overly long, nor preachy, but just a good movie. i want to get this on DVD some time as well.

i'm looking forward to you ONE MILLION YEARS BC review- it's one of my favorite movies of all time, and the US DVD is the cut version, so i'll definately have some thoughts and comments about the lameness that is WB (and the cool UK version as well).

David
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Postby Afa Dollah on July 3rd, 2005, 12:36 am

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Lunk, thanks for giving us a place to gather in fellowship. I like it here!

I think a lot of the success of this movie is due to Bradbury's story, but I may be prejudiced. The things David, Zu's Human, mentioned liking about the film (like not being preachy or patronizing) are things that I have always enjoyed about his fiction. The commentary deals with the claims of the screenwriter that he wrote the entire thing; Bradbury was happy that 80% of his treatment (a HUGE percentage) made it to the screen.

And I'll get started on ONE MILLION YEARS BC asap!
"Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape!"
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

da place

Postby Lunkenstein on July 3rd, 2005, 12:18 pm

You're welcome Afa. Very glad to have you guys here.

Hopefully, soon I'll have this particular forum looking more like a monster zone and the other forums more like their subject matter.

Like the computer from the original STAR TREK used to say...
"Working, working..." in that female voice. :happy1:
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Postby Lunkenstein on July 6th, 2005, 8:08 pm

As a kid in the '60s, I bought 8mm films for our (silent) projector. Castle Films distributed many Universal titles as 5 and 12 minute versions. I bought quite a few, and IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE was one of them. A couple years later, I got to see the whole movie on TV. It's always been a favorite and holds up really well today. I have it on VHS, but would like to get the DVD sometime. If only Universal would put out a '50s Sci-Fi set including this, THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN, TARANTULA, THIS ISLAND EARTH, etc. Here's hoping...
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

DVD?

Postby Xenorama on July 15th, 2005, 10:19 am

i know this and THIS ISLAND EARTH are out on DVD. TARANTULA will be, eventually, and SHRINKING MAN as well. i'll check Best Buy when i am there later on today.

David

Xenorama Board
Xenorama
Daci's human

Postby Afa Dollah on July 15th, 2005, 11:26 am

Those movies would be great to have on DVD. I haven't seen THIS ISLAND EARTH in quite awhile. I'm also looking for IT CAME FROM BENEATH THE SEA, haven't seen it out at Frys yet.
"Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape!"
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

i believe

Postby Xenorama on July 15th, 2005, 5:04 pm

that one is now in a box set of Harryhausen movies- his early b/w stuff.

by the way, i've heard from a reliable source that Ray would like to see all his old movies colorized, to make them more available to a younger audience. someone needs to have a chat with Ray.

David

Xenorama Board
Xenorama
Daci's human

Say it ain't so Ray

Postby Lunkenstein on July 17th, 2005, 6:20 pm

by the way, i've heard from a reliable source that Ray would like to see all his old movies colorized, to make them more available to a younger audience. someone needs to have a chat with Ray.

Man, I hope he re-thinks that. It's getting tiresome seeing the good old stuff tampered with. I like em in original B&W!!
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Re: IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE

Postby Lunkenstein on May 17th, 2006, 12:40 pm

Woo! Woo! Woo! I'm gonna get to see IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE in 3D this July 15th at The Colonial Theater's annual BLOB-FEST!!! Also showing during the fest are FORBIDDEN PLANET and of course the yearly BLOB. Can't wait! I've never seen FORBIDDEN PLANET or IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE on the big screen, so this will be a treat.

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

DVD

Postby Xenorama on October 2nd, 2006, 10:37 pm

this DVD is really nicely done, i highly recommend it. i had to order it from DDD, but dang, it holds up well, and has a nice featurette on Universal Sci-Fi flicks overall.

David

Xenorama Board
Xenorama
Daci's human

Postby Lunkenstein on October 2nd, 2006, 11:54 pm

I have it on VHS, but the DVD is definitely on my list. I forgot to mention how great it was seeing this in 3D at Blob-Fest last July. It was the best 3D presentation I've seen since the '70s - really eye-popping! The night scenes in the desert in particular became even more scary. You truly felt like you were in the film at times.
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Return to Double Chiller Theater