Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - THE MONSTER MAKER (1944)

THE MONSTER MAKER (1944)

Dig classic monster, horror & sci-fi flicks? Come howl at the moon with everything from Universal Monsters to low-budget fright fests. Don't forget the garlic and keep watching the skies!

Moderator: Xenorama

THE MONSTER MAKER (1944)

Postby Lunkenstein on July 5th, 2005, 6:46 pm

Starring J. Carrol Naish, Ralph Morgan, Tala Birell, Wanda McKay and Glenn Strange

Having not seen this PRC entry since the 70s or 80s, I recently checked it out again on the HORROR CLASSICS 50 MOVIE PACK from Treeline Films. It’s a decent Poverty Row film with a good cast and story. J. Carrol Naish plays the devilishly evil Dr. Markoff. He is searching for a cure for acromegaly (the real disease which plagued poor Rondo Hatton), but places passion above any noble cause. Ralph Morgan as Anthony Lawrence, creates much sympathy for his victimized character. The film also features a menacing gorilla, great make-up and our old pal Glenn Strange as a brutish assistant. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing this one again.

He only has eyes for Pat.

At home and play.

A flea bath might help this ornery critter’s disposition.

Say what?

Take that!!

Mama said there'd be days like this.

Too bad Anthony Lawrence couldn’t have filled Professor Deemer [from TARANTULA (1955)] in on the treatment. Surely Deemer would have been so grateful he'd have showered Anthony with holiday gifts each year saying, "Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence!" :sick:
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

The Monster Maker

Postby son of metaldams on July 7th, 2005, 3:08 pm

Nice little montage, Lunkhead. I saw THE MONSTER MAKER once and enjoyed it. A rare star turn for J. Carrol Naish, who if you ask me, is the best thing about HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN. Also, since I've yet to see a Rondo Hatton movie, THE MONSTER MAKER is my only look into the acromegaly sub-genre of horror films.
son of metaldams
Pumpkinbrain

The Monster Maker

Postby Lunkenstein on July 7th, 2005, 7:31 pm

Thanks Metal. I also thought J. Carrol Naish was very good as Daniel in HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN.

I've seen a couple Rondo Hatton films, but it was years ago and would like to see them again. I remember enjoying them, but it seems a bit distasteful to me now thinking that Universal took advantage of his appearance. Never knew he had a disease when I originally saw the films.

From Rondo's IMDB listing:
By all accounts a kind, sensitive man, Hatton was reportedly extremely unhappy at the crude, vulgar way Universal exploited his unfortunate disease, but, as he was under contract, he could do nothing about it. After his death, Universal--perhaps suffering a twinge of guilt--sold his last picture, "The Brute Man", to PRC. It was released as a PRC picture--Universal's name appears nowhere on it.

Rondo Hatton's legacy has endured far longer than even the best of his films. His likeness was the basis for the low-brimmed and brutish villain in "The Rocketeer (1989)." And in recent years, his memory survives in the fan-based Rondo Hatton Classic Horror Awards, awarded each year for the best in horror research, appreciation and film restoration. Winners get a statuette based on the mammoth bust of Hatton as the Creeper, seen in Universal's "House of Horrors (1946)." The "Rondos" website can be found at http://www.rondoaward.com.

In the 1955 Universal classic, TARANTULA, acromegaly is addressed once again in the subplot. I love this film, and it's my favorite giant bug (in this case arachnid) film ever. John Agar to the rescue!!
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Postby Afa Dollah on July 8th, 2005, 5:32 pm

Great job Lunk. I've never seen THE MONSTER MAKER, but I've enjoyed J. Carrol Naish in a bunch of other things. He was in DRACULA VS FRANKENSTEIN as well, and had to be the best thing about that. This looks like another film I'll have to check out!
"Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape!"
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

Low budget fun

Postby Lunkenstein on July 8th, 2005, 6:56 pm

Thanks Afa. I love those Poverty Row flicks!
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Return to Double Chiller Theater