Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - Hammer Horror Films

Hammer Horror Films

Dig classic monster, horror & sci-fi flicks? Come howl at the moon with everything from Universal Monsters to low-budget fright fests. Don't forget the garlic and keep watching the skies!

Moderator: Xenorama

Hammer Horror Films

Postby son of metaldams on July 15th, 2005, 11:11 am

What is your opinion on Hammer Horror films? I've only seen a few, so I can't quite be as articulate about them like I can with the Universal's. So far, they seem entertaining enough and worth going deeper into. Any Hammer experts here who can offer a better opinion?

As far as HORROR OF DRACULA, which I've seen a few times, I suppose Christopher Lee is a cool Dracula in his own right, even if I prefer Lugosi. Lee is more brutal and physically opposing while Lugosi is more hypnotic and otherworldly. I can see why some may prefer Lee, as he is diiferent enough, but I prefer my Dracula more like Lugosi. That said, HORROR OF DRACULA is much more interesting as far as Peter Cushing's Van Helsing goes. In DRACULA, Edward Van Sloan seems to have Dracula figured out as soon as they meet, and that really hurts the second half of that film. With HORROR OF DRACULA, you have much more of a little journey going on in trying to figure Dracula out.
son of metaldams
Pumpkinbrain

until 1968

Postby Xenorama on July 15th, 2005, 5:06 pm

Hammer made some good movies, that's for sure. most of their stuff is quality, until the later 60s and then it started getting too full of itself. there are a few good movies from the later Hammer, but not like the first batch.

David
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Postby jamiemark on July 17th, 2005, 9:15 am

I recently saw Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter and thought it was fun. Then again, anything with the gorgeous Caroline Munroe gets my vote..... :laugh1:
"What's another word for scrutiny.......
scrutiny"
jamiemark
Pumpkinbrain

Hammer films

Postby Lunkenstein on July 17th, 2005, 9:21 pm

I've enjoyed quite a few Hammer films through the years. Had no idea the studio went back all the way to 1935. Check out this Hammer fan site filmography => http://www.fortunecity.com/lavendar/judidench/339/filmogr.html
Holy cow. That's a lot of films. The earliest I recognize in that list is from 1955.

Here is what I've seen:

THE CREEPING UNKNOWN (1955)
aka: THE QUATERMASS EXPERIMENT
An excellent sci-fi scare flick with Brian Donlevy as Professor Quatermass. Highly recommended. Has been shown on TCM.

X-THE UNKNOWN (1956)
Starring Dean Jagger and the great Leo McKern (the best Number 2 in Patrick McGoohan's TV series THE PRISONER). Another creepy sci-fi piece featuring a radioactive mud horror. Scared the bleep outta me as a kid on the afternoon movie. A must-see.

THE ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN OF THE HIMALAYAS (1957)
With Peter Cushing and Forrest Tucker. An interesting little film I haven't seen in years. Not a ton of action, but worth a look as I remember.

CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1957)
Starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. The first of their Frankenstein's and not a bad debut. Cushing is excellent as usual, but I was never really crazy about Lee's makeup as the monster. However, this is another must-see.

ENEMY FROM SPACE (1957)
aka: QUATERMASS 2
Sequel to THE CREEPING UNKNOWN again features Brian Donlevy as Professor Quatermass. Saw this back in the '60s and remember there being blob monsters, but can't recall much else. I'd like to see this again.

HORROR OF DRACULA (1958)
Great beginning to Hammer's Drac series with Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing and Michael Gough. I agree with much that you've already said about this Metal. I'll always love Bela best as Dracula, but Lee would be my 2nd favorite. He does have a very menacing physical presence in this series. HORROR certainly delivers the goods and is required viewing.

THE REVENGE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1958)
Starring Peter Cushing. This is a favorite and was shown regularly when I was a kid. Not your typical Frankenstein tale as it takes a different approach. Very well done and worthwhile - you'll never forget Peter's face near the end of the film once you see this. Dr. Frank, meet Dr. Stein

THE MUMMY (1959)
Starring Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. Pretty good remake and Lee's mummy makeup is superb. I still like Karloff's original best and the other original Universals, but this version is also a good watch. Lee's mummy is very imposing and moves a lot faster (physically) than Chaney Jr's, whom I still love anyhow.

BRIDES OF DRACULA (1960)
With Peter Cushing and David Peel. I only saw this once as a kid and remember being disappointed because there wasn't a per-say Drac in it. I definitely need to see this again cause I'm sure I'd like it better now.

THE STRANGLERS OF BOMBAY (1960)
Fairly sure I saw this in the '60s, but don't remember a bloody thing about it.

CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF (1961)
Starring the late, great Oliver Reed. This just might be my favorite Hammer film. It may not be the best made, but for me it terrified me at age 6 (and I only saw the opening credits). My father took us to a drive-in for a 4-film monster marathon made up of: FIRE-MAIDENS OF OUTER SPACE, THE MOLE PEOPLE, THE DEADLY MANTIS and CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF. I'll never forget that night. I was just starting to love these types of films, and thoroughly enjoyed the first 3 (which were a couple years older and in B&W). But CURSE was new, in color, and looked way too scary. The opening credits featured his tearing eyes in the background and that was it. Mercifully, I fell asleep early into the film. Later, I saw an expose in FAMOUS MONSTERS and eventually saw the whole film. Reed's make-up is excellent, but be prepared to wait to see it. Some nice, eerie images of the young Leon hold up really well too, and the story takes a decent twist on lycanthropy.

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (1962)
Starring Herbert Lom and Michael Gough. Another I saw many full moons ago, but don't remember being very impressed. Might be worth a look, but my gut instincts are to stay with the Chaney and Rains versions.

THE CURSE OF THE MUMMY'S TOMB (1964)
With Terence Morgan and Fred Clark. I like Fred Clark, but this film wasn't particularly memorable. OK for a time killer.

EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN (1964)
Starring Peter Cushing. Another Hammer drive-in child experience. Loved it then. Haven't seen it in years. The Frankie make-up is pretty interesting and the creature is definitely high maintenance. Another I'd like to view again.

THE GORGON (1964)
Alas, I think I saw this. That's all I can say.

DIE! DIE! MY DARLING (1965)
Same as previous.

THE NANNY (1965)
Starring Bette Davis. Same as previous.

SHE (1965)
Starring Peter Cushing and Ursula Undress, I mean Andress. A neat little adventure film I remember fondly. Good score too.

DRACULA-PRINCE OF DARKNESS (1966)
Starring, who else, Christopher Lee. Pretty intense and bloody from what I recall and a famous entry to boot. Another on my must-see-again list.

ONE MILLION YEARS B.C. (1966)
Starring Raquel Welch (at the height of her awesomeness) and Ray Harryhausen's fantastic dinosaur creations. Don't miss the film that meant so much to so many young guys. Raquel is a goddess and Ray's stop motion effects are spectacular. Another of my favorites. WHERE'S MY RAQUEL POSTER?!?!?!?

FRANKENSTEIN CREATED WOMAN (1967)
Starring Peter Cushing. Again, I'm sure I saw this, but don't remember much. Shame on me.

FIVE MILLION YEARS TO EARTH (1967)
aka: QUATERMASS AND THE PIT
Starring Andrew Keir as Professor Quatermass. A great piece of Sci-Fi with impressive effects and suspense. Definitely worthwhile.

DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE (1968)
Starring Christopher Lee. Another Hammer drive-in experience. Not the best Drac, but worth seeing. Had a great tagline of "You just can't keep a good man down." :laugh1:

THE LOST CONTINENT (1968)
Did I see this on CBS' Thursday Night Movies?? That is the momentous question, I once asked Hamlet.

FRANKENSTEIN MUST BE DESTROYED (1969)
Starring Peter Cushing. And if they achieved it, I don't recall, but it must not have worked. Bad brain! Bad brain!

kind lost track of em til A.D. 1972

DRACULA A.D.-1972 (1972, duh)
Re-uniting Christopher Lee Peter Cushing in their respective roles. Saw this at a Drive-in too, and not only were they partying in the movie, but we were too. Great, bloody staking scene at the end as I recall.

That's about it.

I would have sworn THE SKULL (1965) was a Hammer production. Apparently not. But it's a great Cushing/Lee movie that's not to be missed. I tend to forget these guys worked for other studios too.
Last edited by Lunkenstein on July 18th, 2005, 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

HAMMER HORROR

Postby son of metaldams on July 17th, 2005, 9:52 pm

One's I've seen:

THE MYSTERY OF MARY CELESTE (AKA THE PHANTOM SHIP) (1935): Way too early to be a part of the classic era, but it's got Bela Lugosi in it, and I think I discussed this film on another thread. Bela got to stretch out in this role more than others.

THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1957): It's been a while since I've seen it, and all I remember is I liked it. I plan on viewing it again soon, so I'll have a better opinion soon.

HORROR OF DRACULA (1958): See my comments above. Pretty much a must-see for all horror fans.

THE MUMMY (1959): Visit the imdb.com page and look for the metaldams review I posted awhile back. It got positive remarks, and I perhaps enjoyed this one the most. May change my mind once I view these Hammer classics more about this being my favorite.

DRACULA: PRINCE OF DARKNESS (1966): Just watched this again last night. The resurrection scene was friggin' awesome, but this film is slow in parts and Christopher Lee is not in enough of it. I also thought too much information was blatantly spelled out, like the way they blatantly say Dracula's castle is not on the map BECAUSE people don't want to acknowledge it's existence. I'd prefer to figure that out on my own. Still, cool atmosphere, mostly well acted, and like I said, the resurrection scene is a stone cold classic. Overall, worth seeing, but not the best.

That's my limited Hammer viewing. I bought a DRACULA: PRINCE OF DARKNESS/SATANIC RITES OF DRACULA DVD double feature for $20 at Borders this weekend. Quite a steal, since I since found out it's out of print and going for $120 on amazon.com! Haven't watched the latter film yet. Also am getting the 6 DVD box Warners released soon and plan on buying the 8 film set Universal is releasing on Sept. 6 (looking forward to CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF most on that one). Therefore, I'll own 16 classic era Hammer films by 9/6 and should have a good idea what I think of the studio as a whole. By this Halloween, I'll be much better versed in Val Lewton and Hammer.
son of metaldams
Pumpkinbrain

Hammer DVDs

Postby Lunkenstein on September 18th, 2005, 5:57 pm

Doug, did you get your Universal/Hammer set yet? I bought it last weekend and gotta say - it's awesome. I've only watched the first 3 films so far, but the colors and clarity really jump out at you. Beautifully restored prints so far. I've never seen CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF look so good - and BRIDES OF DRACULA blew me away. It's now one of my favorite Hammer films. It was also cool seeing PARANOIAC for the first time as Oliver Reed is one of my favorite actors. That - and a couple others on the set are in B&W, but crystal clear. I think you'll enjoy these films.

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Hammer box set

Postby son of metaldams on September 29th, 2005, 7:45 pm

Lunk, I bought the set and have only watched CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF, which I enjoyed. The make-up job was kind of laughable, the rest of the film was good. I'm saving the rest of the set for October (and I'll be watching a LOT of horror movies 'cause at this point there probably won't be much Boston baseball). I'm trying to watch movies I mostly haven't seen and am giving the old Universal Horrors I've seen to death a long break. Also looking forward to the Val Lewton set!
son of metaldams
Pumpkinbrain

Red Hammer Sox

Postby Lunkenstein on September 30th, 2005, 6:04 pm

Looks like the Sox might still do it. Best of luck to you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Glad to hear you got the Hammer set. I've really enjoyed watching all the films. Not sure when I'll be able to get the Lewton set, but it's definitely a must have.

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

a hammer film?\

Postby vincent on June 8th, 2006, 4:23 pm

im not sure whether this was a hammer film or not, but i like the film of short horror stories, that contains a vampire story, where a man murders his sister in a little town, only to be hung upside down, & have all his blood taken out by thirsty vampires, including his murdered sister, who became one after he killed her\in another story, with intentional humour, a woman tries to please her husband by keeping everything clean, but messes things up by accident one day, & the husband comes home, & starts yelling at her, "you cant keep anything clean, can you?!!! you just cant keep anything clean, can you?!!! can you?!! can you?!!!", or something like that, & the woman gives a blood curdling scream, & plants a hammer (no pun on hammer films intended), right into his head, & they stop action & show a closeup of it\i think the actress was glynis johns, but i dont know\i love surrealistic films, & often horror & surrealism mix\well, i just wanted to put my two cents in\
life is a jest, & all things show it\i thought so once, but now i know it\john gay\my own epitaph\1720\(nyuk, nyuk, nyuk)\
vincent
Pumpkinbrain

THE VAULT OF HORROR (1973)

Postby Lunkenstein on June 10th, 2006, 12:39 pm

I believe the film you're talking about is called THE VAULT OF HORROR (1973). Glynis Johns was in the cast. It was released by a company called Amicus and was a follow-up to the previous year's hit, the original TALES FROM THE CRYPT. - That one featured Peter Cushing, so it's easy to mistake these for Hammer films. They also had a Hammer feel to them. I've seen the original CRYPT within the past few years, but think I only saw THE VAULT OF HORROR way back in 1973. I remember liking both of these anthology films a lot.

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Return to Double Chiller Theater