Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - WEREWOLF IN A GIRLS' DORMITORY (1962)

WEREWOLF IN A GIRLS' DORMITORY (1962)

Dig classic monster, horror & sci-fi flicks? Come howl at the moon with everything from Universal Monsters to low-budget fright fests. Don't forget the garlic and keep watching the skies!

Moderator: Xenorama

WEREWOLF IN A GIRLS' DORMITORY (1962)

Postby Lunkenstein on July 18th, 2005, 11:41 pm

Here's a film I read about in one of the monster mags back in the '60s. The pictures in the article looked cool and scary, so I anticipated eventually seeing the movie. Little did I know it would take 40 more years. Back then, foreign imports like ATOM AGE VAMPIRE made their way to Saturday Matinee's and onto the tube in Philly, but DORMITORY did not. I often wondered about this film and being a werewolf fan, it bugged me that I never saw it. Now through the magic of cheap DVD sets, I finally got to view it.

Originally called LYCANTHROPUS, this Italian/Austrian production was dubbed into English and released in America as WEREWOLF IN A GIRLS' DORMITORY. It's interesting to see how European horror films were progressing at the time, and WEREWOLF displays the look and feel of that era. Not necessarily a great film, it does manage to entertain and provide scary moments. The musical score is particularly creepy.

They do a good job keeping the werewolf's identity a mystery by providing several suspects, and some of the night scenes in the woods are downright eerie.

I really liked the makeup on this beastie. It's minimal in the tradition of WEREWOLF OF LONDON and some of the images are a bit graphic for the times.

For the U.S release, a fun rock 'n roll tune called THE GHOUL IN SCHOOL was added to the opening credits. Due to copyright issues, the song is played only briefly on the Madacy disk I bought. Retromedia's DVD does not have it at all, but reviews claim Retro's is the best version of the film which features an audio commentary with one of the stars, Curt Lowens.

In the tradition of the MONSTER MASH, THE GHOUL IN SCHOOL tune is catchy and sounds like it could be another Monster Kid anthem. Here's the brief sampling from the Madacy DVD => http://lunkenstein.lunkhead.net/audio/goul_in_school1.wav (oops, misspelled ghoul)
Now, don't ya wanna hear the whole song? I sure do. If anyone knows of where it can be had, please let me know.

Thanks,
Lunkenstein
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Postby RedKing on February 17th, 2006, 2:27 pm

I really liked this movie too. I'm a big euro-horror fan, particularly of Paul Nascy's werewolf films, and this is a definite forerunner to Naschy's films in many ways. heck some of the creepy music from this movie even turned up in some of Naschy's later films. I only have the Retro disc, but it is excellent, though i would like to hear the Ghoul in school song. I may rent the Madacy version from Netflix just for that. I read a post on another board that claimed Retro's disc is falesely letterboxed, with black bars added to the top and bottom of the screen to make it look widescreen. They had side by side screen grabs from both discs(Madacy and retro) and honestly I think they were dead wrong. I've seen alot of movies that are fake widescreen (Hammer releases from Warners, Harryhausen discs from Columbia, Gorgo from VCI) and the Retro version of Werwewolf looked like it's really widescreen from the photo comparison-nothing looked cut off at the top and bottom of the image!
Moe: "What are you-an idiot, an imbecile, a moron?"
Larry:"I'll give you 10 to 1 I'm in there someplace!"
RedKing
Pumpkinbrain

Postby Lunkenstein on March 13th, 2006, 11:09 pm

I'm a big euro-horror fan, particularly of Paul Nascy's werewolf films

They are quite cool. I've only seen FRANKENSTEIN'S BLOODY TERROR and FURY OF THE WOLFMAN so far. The new FBT disk is gorgeous - picked it up a few weeks back. I first got to see FBT thanks to Megs sending me a disk and really loved it. Thanks again Megs! For some reason, Paul Naschy films were never shown locally in Philadelphia. That's a shame.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back to DORMATORY: Redking, a fellow fan was nice enough to get me the full GHOUL IN SCHOOL mp3. I could email it to you if you like. Just let me know. (You too Megs.) The full length song is pretty funny.
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

my pleasure

Postby Xenorama on March 13th, 2006, 11:52 pm

it's a fun movie, and he's definately one of the most energetic werewolves ever!

David
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Return to Double Chiller Theater