Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
 Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - Sherlock Holmes movies

Lunkhead's Lair

Stooge & Monster Forums

Skip to content

Sherlock Holmes movies

From silent classics to the latest blockbuster film, make your opinions known. Non-genre specific here.

Moderator: Xenorama

Sherlock Holmes movies

Postby Xenorama on February 25th, 2007, 1:10 pm

not in chronological order!

THE WOMAN IN GREEN (1945)

Basil Rathbone ... Sherlock Holmes
Nigel Bruce ... Dr. John H. Watson
Hillary Brooke ... Lydia Marlowe
Henry Daniell ... Professor Moriarty
Paul Cavanagh ... Sir George Fenwick
Matthew Boulton ... Inspector Gregson of Scotland Yard/Narrator
Eve Amber ... Maude Fenwick
Frederick Worlock ... Dr. Onslow (as Frederic Warlock)
Tom Bryson ... Corporal Williams
Sally Shepherd ... Crandon, Marlowe's maid
Mary Gordon ... Mrs. Hudson

Holmes and Watson are helping Scotland Yard look into a series of murders- the women have all had their right thumbs expertly removed. Holmes is trying to figure out what they all have in common.

turns out it's a blackmail scheme involving hypnosis and his old nemesis Prof. Moriarty.

a nice little thriller, with a good script and likable cast.
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

re: THE WOMAN IN GREEN

Postby Lunkhead on February 27th, 2007, 11:03 pm

I love the 'Rathbone/Bruce' Holmes films. My dad and I used to watch those and Charlie Chan on Saturday nights long ago. They're all great fun. I have some on tape and a few on DVD. I bought THE WOMAN IN GREEN on a dollar DVD recently and will throw it on soon, as it's been years since I've seen it. I'll add comments later. Thanks for bringing these up. Megs, are you planning on posting the whole series? That would be great!
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Afa Dollah on February 28th, 2007, 1:05 pm

These are great flicks. I have a copy of WOMAN IN GREEN here someplace, I'll have to check it out and write something up as well. I have more of these movies, but most of them are on old VHS tapes I made off the late show. Full of commercials and also the tape integrity is starting to go. They're pretty old. I did get some on DVD, and some Charlie Chans as well. I think there are even more Chan movies out now, seems I saw another collection at the BIG BOX ELECTRONICS store down the way.
"Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape!"
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

The Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection

Postby Lunkhead on February 28th, 2007, 5:05 pm

There is a complete DVD collection of all the Rathbone/Bruce Holmes films available. It's expensive, but it includes all 14 films and they've been completely restored by the UCLA Film Archive from 35mm prints. From everything I've read, the films have never looked so good. I'd love to get the set some day. The set is cheapest at DeepDiscount.com => DeepDiscount - Holmes set. There is more detailed information about it on this Amazon.com listing (though it's priced higher there) => Amazon - Holmes set.

There are a couple Charlie Chan sets and individual DVDs out, but I don't think all the films have been released yet. Again, I'd love to have em all. Many of those I haven't seen since the '70s. This sure is an expensive hobby we have, isn't it? :happy1:
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Afa Dollah on February 28th, 2007, 10:33 pm

The Rathbone/Bruce collection sounds great; I hesitate to guess the price for all 14 films, probably a hundred or so, huh? I got the six Charlie Chan's released a while back by MGM, here's the titles.

THE SCARLET CLUE
CHARLIE CHAN IN THE SECRET SERVICE
MEETING AT MIDNIGHT
THE CHINESE CAT
THE JADE MASK
THE SHANGHAI COBRA

I'll try to get to write ups on those soon, it will keep me out of trouble...won't it? There's another set of Chan movies out now, I think it was at least 60 bucks or so, maybe more, but it looked good to me except for the price. Can't remember any of the titles in it off the top of my head.

My Sherlock Holmes DVDs are a collection of 10 in a cheapie set, some are TV episodes and stuff, the quality was bad on some of them. It has four of the Rathbone flicks, I think.

Your right, Lunk; collecting movies is still too expensive. I say we lobby for a five dollar maximum on ALL DVDs. Then people wouldn't need to burn them / pirate them or whatever, and we would all be happy. Same goes for CDs; stop hunting down college kids making party disks for their friends. Just my humble opinion.
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

Postby Lunkhead on February 28th, 2007, 10:40 pm

Afa Dollah wrote:The Rathbone/Bruce collection sounds great; I hesitate to guess the price for all 14 films, probably a hundred or so, huh?

Pretty close. At deepdiscount.com the set's going for $86.50. As much as I'd love to have it, that's just not in my budget right now.
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Afa Dollah on February 28th, 2007, 10:51 pm

Hmmmph. A little over $6 a flick, which is not outrageous. As you say, the problem is coming up with a chunk of cash. It's out of my league now as well. Still, Christmas is just around the corner...
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

TERROR BY NIGHT (1946)

Postby Xenorama on March 1st, 2007, 2:28 am

Alan Mowbray ... Major Duncan-Bleek
Dennis Hoey ... Inspector Lestrade
Renee Godfrey ... Vivian Vedder
Frederick Worlock ... Prof. William Kilbane
Mary Forbes ... Lady Margaret Carstairs
Skelton Knaggs ... Sands
Billy Bevan ... Passenger Car Attendant
Geoffrey Steele ... Roland Carstairs

an hour long Sherlock Holmes movie. i liked it. he's been hired by
Roland Carstairs to protect the star of Rhodesia, an enormous diamond.
naturally, someone is after it.

i've never watched Rathbone as Holmes, but i like him a lot in the
role. these are fast paced movies. i'd like to see how they all go
together. i got this in one of those 10 movie sets about Holmes,
which features five episodes of the enjoyable 1954 tv series as well.

let me amend this a bit, i HAVE seen some of these movies, but not for
years and not with any sort of background knowledge of the character.

d'oh!

Xenorama Board
Xenorama
Daci's human

Re: TERROR BY NIGHT (1946)

Postby Lunkhead on March 1st, 2007, 9:14 am

I watched this one again about a year or so ago. It is a neat little quickie. I'll probably pop both WOMAN IN GREEN & TERROR BY NIGHT in soon for refreshers. The great thing about these movies is when I haven't seen them for a few years, I tend to forget the plot twists and who's the real killer. Plus, they're very rewatchable to begin with. I love the chemistry between Rathbone and Bruce.
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Afa Dollah on March 1st, 2007, 1:25 pm

Xenorama, I think that may be the same Sherlock Holmes set I have. Let's see....SHERLOCK HOLMES CASE FILES 10 MOVIES ON FIVE DOUBLE-SIDED DISCS! Featuring 5 original episodes from the SHERLOCK HOLMES TV series featuring Ronald Howard (1954: B&W)

TERROR BY NIGHT
WOMAN IN GREEN
SHERLOCK HOLMES AND THE SECRET WEAPON
DRESSED TO KILL
SHERLOCK HOLMS AND THE DEADLY NECKLACE
A STUDY IN SCARLET
THE TRIUMPH OF SHERLOCK HOLMES
MURDER AT THE BASKERVILLES
SIGN OF THE FOUR
THE SPECKLED BAND

Is that it? It seems I may be running out of reasons not to play a little catch up and add some commentary.... :curly1:
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

yep

Postby Xenorama on March 1st, 2007, 1:41 pm

dat's da one i have. i've started DRESSED TO KILL last night, and will watch more tonight. it's only $12, and the quality is highly watchable.

David

Xenorama Board
Xenorama
Daci's human

Postby Afa Dollah on March 1st, 2007, 1:53 pm

Okay, I'll bust out DRESSED TO KILL later on and then I'll be able to contribute here. Lunk is right, these are highly rewatchable films. Rathbone is sort of the quintessential Holmes by virtue of his performances, and Nigel Bruce makes a good Watson, counterpoint to Holmes. :curly1:
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

DRESSED TO KILL (1946)

Postby Xenorama on March 3rd, 2007, 12:30 am

DRESSED TO KILL (1946)

Patricia Morison ... Mrs. Hilda Courtney
Edmund Breon ... 'Stinky' Emery (as Edmond Breon)
Frederick Worlock ... Colonel Cavanaugh
Carl Harbord ... Inspector Hopkins
Patricia Cameron ... Evelyn Clifford
Holmes Herbert ... Ebenezer Crabtree
Harry Cording ... Hamid
Leyland Hodgson ... Tour guide
Ian Wolfe ... Commissioner of Scotland Yard

the last of the Rathbone/Bruce movies, and a fun one all in all. it involves 3 music boxes which have clues to a set of pound notes from the bank of England. a murder or two and a beautiful woman are involved.

Xenorama Board
Xenorama
Daci's human

Re: THE WOMAN IN GREEN (1945)

Postby Lunkhead on March 3rd, 2007, 2:52 pm

Xenorama wrote:

THE WOMAN IN GREEN (1945)

Hillary Brooke ... Lydia Marlowe
Henry Daniell ... Professor Moriarty
Paul Cavanagh ... Sir George Fenwick
Matthew Boulton ... Inspector Gregson of Scotland Yard/Narrator
Eve Amber ... Maude Fenwick
Frederick Worlock ... Dr. Onslow (as Frederic Warlock)
Tom Bryson ... Corporal Williams
Sally Shepherd ... Crandon, Marlowe's maid

Holmes and Watson are helping Scotland Yard look into a series of murders- the women have all had their right thumbs expertly removed. Holmes is trying to figure out what they all have in common.

turns out it's a blackmail scheme involving hypnosis and his old nemesis Prof. Moriarty.

a nice little thriller, with a good script and likable cast.

I watched THE WOMAN IN GREEN last night. It'd been quite a few years since I last saw it, so I enjoyed it a lot. I forgot about Watson getting hypnotized. That was pretty funny. Poor guy, he also had a fright when he thought Holmes got blasted. Great cast - Henry Daniell is really good as Moriarty, and it's always a treat seeing Hillary Brooke. Woo! Woo! She was a nice addition to the Abbott & Costello TV shows.

I may have this on a couple dollar DVDs, but here is the one I watched last night (from Mill Creek Entertainment):
Pretty nice cover - they even made Hillary's hair green!! I've never seen the other film on this DVD, nor Arthur Wontner as Holmes. I'll check it out eventually, but Basil will always be the definitive Holmes for me.
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Re: TERROR BY NIGHT (1946)

Postby Lunkhead on March 31st, 2007, 7:30 pm

I watched TERROR BY NIGHT again recently and it really is a fun entry in the series. Very entertaining. I especially love the ending and I always forget that Skelton Knaggs has a nice little, sleazy role. He's great with those. Holmes nearly getting tossed off the speeding train is also a highlight. Of course our dear Dr. Watson has another hilarious moment when he tries to formally question one of the passengers. The way he gets turned around is so funny.

"What are you doing here? Where are you going?" ~ passenger
"I swear I didn't do it!" ~ Watson :laugh1:
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Next

Return to Cinema