Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
 Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - What have you watched lately?

Lunkhead's Lair

Stooge & Monster Forums

Skip to content

What have you watched lately?

From silent classics to the latest blockbuster film, make your opinions known. Non-genre specific here.

Moderator: Xenorama

Re: What have you watched lately?

Postby Lunkhead on November 22nd, 2008, 11:07 pm

THE OUTER LIMITS - The Architects of Fear
THE OUTER LIMITS - The Man With the Power
SECRET AGENT/DANGER MAN - It's Up to the Lady
SECRET AGENT/DANGER MAN - Whatever Happened to George Foster?
"I'm telling you man. Who is on first."

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Lunkhead on November 25th, 2008, 8:06 pm

THE MYSTERIANS (1957)

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Lunkhead on November 28th, 2008, 5:55 pm

SECRET AGENT/DANGER MAN - The Galloping Major
MARCH OF THE WOODEN SOLDIERS (1934)
KING KONG (1933)
GARFIELD'S THANKSGIVING
LOST IN SPACE - The Space Primevals

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Lunkhead on November 30th, 2008, 6:30 pm

THE NEW OUTER LIMITS - Gettysburg
ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET THE KEYSTONE COPS (1955)
ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET JERRY SEINFELD
ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET THE MONSTERS

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby moe-jo on December 2nd, 2008, 7:58 pm

QUANTUM OF SOLACE (2008)
Aw, man, this was so good!
"I am not what I am." Iago, from William Shakespeare's Othello
moe-jo
Mongoose

Postby Lunkhead on December 6th, 2008, 11:43 am

METROPOLIS (1927), with a tear in my heart.

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Preston on December 7th, 2008, 8:17 pm

At first,I thought this thread was meant for only theatrical movies, but I notice that Lunk included a couple of OUTER LIMITS episodes, so I thought I would include Star Trek TOS because the local station is re-running TOS on the weekends. This is the version where some scenes are RE-DONE with new fx. As I recall, somebody else on this form had frowned on these Re-done scenes. And my response to that is Both yes and no. That is, some of the re-done spoils it for me, but some have improved on the episodes. Let me first take the Spoiled scenes. They Re-did the Enterprise itself, and now the Enterprise does Not look as realistic as it used to look. This UNrealistic look reminds me of the episode THE DOOMSDAY MACHINE when Commodore Decker's starship was shown. The way the fx were done for Decker's ship was that the fx-artists used an actual model kit from Aurora. That can be especially noticed when there is a close-up of the ship with its damaged nacelles (pods). Now coming back to the current re-runs, the Re-done Enterprise fx look as bad as the fx for Decker's ship. That is, it now looks like a model kit, as compared to the Enterprise from the original video. So I'm glad I still have my VHS tapes! (See, it pays to keep those ancient tapes!)

But on the PLUS side, in the re-done fx from the planet Pollux episode where they encountered the demi-god APOLLO, the re-done fx added to the enjoyment of the scene where Apollo's projected image of a giant hand came to grasp the starship. In the redone fx, the Giant Hand is now seen from a side-view and slowly rising up from the planet below. What makes it an improvement is that now the Hand is Not just an enlarged hand but instead looks distorted and therefore looks more weird. It looks like an energy field which is fluctuating between intangibility and solidity. That is a good idea because Spock's sensors had determined that it IS an energy field instead of an actual hand.

So that's my reaction. Lunk or anybody else , if you've seen these re-done fx, I would be interested in your reactions.
Preston
Mutant

Postby Lunkhead on December 8th, 2008, 7:42 pm

I've seen a few of the redone eps here and there when aired. I'll always feel it's wrong to wipe out the original effect artist's work and think it's a dangerous trend. Nothing is sacred anymore. Colorization is one thing (and that can be debated back and forth), but to totally remove someone's work and replace it goes way over the line for me.

As far as how the new effects look, I think they are already obsolete. I'm not dazzled at all with a CGI Enterprise and still prefer seeing the models I grew up with.

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Lunkhead on December 8th, 2008, 10:48 pm

RUDOLPH THE RED NOSED REINDEER
A CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS

THE THREE STOOGES:
From Nurse to Worse (1940)
Hoofs and Goofs (1957)

GILLIGAN'S ISLAND:
Birds Gotta Fly, Fish Gotta Talk

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Preston on December 12th, 2008, 8:39 pm

RIPLEY'S Good to see that cable still re-runs this excellent show about Real-life oddities. This time around, I saw an amazing story of a pet dog. The dog was accidentally hit by a moving car. Since the driver saw that the dog was suffering from the severe injuries, he used a gun to do a euthanasia (mercy-killing) on the dog. The dead dog was picked up by state-workers and its body was put into deep-freeze morgue. After two hours, a worker happened to open the deep-freeze and found to his amazement that the dog was alive! So the dog was quickly brought to a veterinarian, and surgery made the dog eventually recover. As the dog's Owner said,"The Dog might not have the nine lives of a Cat but has at least three!
Preston
Mutant

Postby Lunkhead on December 14th, 2008, 10:40 am

Cool!

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Preston on December 14th, 2008, 7:59 pm

BONANZA Just saw this episode this morning on TVland. Don't know the episode's title but I recall reading in the credits that it was written by Michael Landon! In this fine episode, the whole Cartwright family is framed for a bank robbery and the murder of one of the bank employees! Little Joe manages to escape and brings help to save his family. As you can see in this episode, Little Joe is the Hero, which is understandable because actor Michael Landon plays Little Joe, and, as I said, he wrote this episode. lol
Preston
Mutant

Postby Lunkhead on December 20th, 2008, 1:22 pm

I miss Michael Landon. He was good for television and his series were both touching and entertaining.

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Lunkhead on December 20th, 2008, 1:33 pm

ONE NIGHT IN THE TROPICS (1940)

LOST IN SPACE:
The Space Destructors

LOONEY TUNES:
A Tale of Two Kitties
A Wild Hare