Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
 Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - What have you watched lately?

Lunkhead's Lair

Stooge & Monster Forums

Skip to content

What have you watched lately?

From silent classics to the latest blockbuster film, make your opinions known. Non-genre specific here.

Moderator: Xenorama

Re: What have you watched lately?

Postby Lunkhead on August 1st, 2008, 5:46 pm

X: THE MAN WITH THE X-RAY EYES (1963)
"I'm telling you man. Who is on first."

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Preston on August 1st, 2008, 9:26 pm

:ol_nightmare: Now that you mentioned MAN WITH THE X-RAY EYES, it might interest you to know that I still have a COMIC BOOK adaptation that I bought during the 1970s. The cover's artwork is a painting but the inside of the cover has stills from the movie. The rest of the magazine is of course a regular comic book. It was published by Gold Key comics who used to do many adaptations of scifi movies. I wonder if they adapted the 3 Stooges too?? Because I know that the Stooges had adaptations too.
Ray Milland is of course well-cast as a scientist. Did you ever see him in the film LOST WEEKEND? Also, it was surprising to see Don Rickles in a cameo appearance when Milland's character joined the circus. I enjoyed Rickles when he appeared in a TV anthology where he played the role of a Ventriloquist. Wasn't that the series TALES FROM THE CRYPT? Very HORRIFYING because it turns out that the "mannequin" that Rickles uses is actually his arm which had mutated into an actual creature! It was shocking because that was revealed at ONLY toward the ending. In a sense,you could say that the mutation is a variation of a Siamese Twin,huh?
Preston
Mutant

Postby Lunkhead on August 3rd, 2008, 8:59 am

It was published by Gold Key comics who used to do many adaptations of scifi movies. I wonder if they adapted the 3 Stooges too?

I don't have any, but the stooges did have a series by Gold Key.
Ray Milland is of course well-cast as a scientist. Did you ever see him in the film LOST WEEKEND?

Oh yes. 4 Oscars for the film, including one to Milland for best actor (and deservedly so). It is a great film.
Also, it was surprising to see Don Rickles in a cameo appearance when Milland's character joined the circus.

That was an interesting choice. There are many odd and imaginative ingredients in "X", such as the photographic effects. It's really a neat, little film. The ending is especially bizarre!

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Lunkhead on August 3rd, 2008, 9:00 am

THE FOG (1980)
THE DEADLY MANTIS (1957)

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby moe-jo on August 4th, 2008, 11:44 am

THE DARK KNIGHT (2008)

I was completely blown away at the special effects of this movie. I knew Dent was Two-Face from the beginning, and he looked just like the Two-Face in the comic book series. Amazing stuff.
"I am not what I am." Iago, from William Shakespeare's Othello
moe-jo
Mongoose

Postby Lunkhead on August 4th, 2008, 7:15 pm

I'm going to try and see THE DARK KNIGHT soon.

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby moe-jo on August 5th, 2008, 11:17 am

You'll be stunned. It's just that amazing.
moe-jo
Mongoose

Postby Lunkhead on August 8th, 2008, 6:32 pm

EMPIRE OF THE ANTS (1977)

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Lunkhead on August 10th, 2008, 2:45 pm

WEREWOLF SHADOW (1971)

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby moe-jo on August 11th, 2008, 12:57 pm

I'm gearing up for the Laurel & Hardy Saturday matinee August 23rd. I'm really excited to see them for the first time.
moe-jo
Mongoose

Postby Lunkhead on August 14th, 2008, 6:58 pm

Moe-jo, I think you're gonna love Stan & Ollie. You're referring to the Laurel & Hardy festival on TCM, right?

Here it is:

August 23, beginning at 6AM
NIGHT OWLS (1930)
BLOTTO (1930)
BRATS (1930)
HOG WILD (1930)
BE BIG! (1931)
LAUGHING GRAVY (1931)
OUR WIFE (1931)
PARDON US (1931)
ONE GOOD TURN (1931)
BEAU HUNKS (1931)
HELPMATES (1932)
BONNIE SCOTLAND (1932)
THE FIXER UPPERS (1935)
THEM THAR HILLS (1934)
TIT FOR TAT (1935)
THE LIVE GHOST (1934)
THE DEVIL'S BROTHER (1933)
ME AND MY PAL (1933)
THEIR FIRST MISTAKE (1932)
PACK UP YOUR TROUBLES (1932)
SCRAM! (1932)
COUNTY HOSPITAL (1932)
THE CHIMP (1932)
THE MUSIC BOX (1932)
SONS OF THE DESERT (1933)
WAY OUT WEST (1938)
SWISS MISS (1938)

August 24, beginning at 12:15AM
BLOCK-HEADS (1938)
THE FLYING DEUCES (1939)
A CHUMP AT OXFORD (1939)
SAPS AT SEA (1940)
AIR RAID WARDENS (1943)

Good idea to fire up the VCR as there are some great ones in that line-up. Whatever you do, don't miss THE MUSIC BOX!

When I was growing up in the '60s, Laurel & Hardy were on almost as much as The Three Stooges. Same with Abbott & Costello. Those three are my favorite, classic comedy teams. I also love The Marx Brothers and though not a team, I came to appreciate W.C. Fields as I got older.

More vintage comedy you'd likely enjoy is Our Gang (The Little Rascals). There is a huge DVD set coming out soon, though it's a bit pricey. AMC ran their shorts for a while when they were still showing the Stooges.

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Lunkhead on August 18th, 2008, 8:54 am

SILENT HILL (2006)

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby moe-jo on August 18th, 2008, 4:50 pm

Lunkhead wrote:Moe-jo, I think you're gonna love Stan & Ollie. You're referring to the Laurel & Hardy festival on TCM, right?

Here it is:

August 23, beginning at 6AM
NIGHT OWLS (1930)
BLOTTO (1930)
BRATS (1930)
HOG WILD (1930)
BE BIG! (1931)
LAUGHING GRAVY (1931)
OUR WIFE (1931)
PARDON US (1931)
ONE GOOD TURN (1931)
BEAU HUNKS (1931)
HELPMATES (1932)
BONNIE SCOTLAND (1932)
THE FIXER UPPERS (1935)
THEM THAR HILLS (1934)
TIT FOR TAT (1935)
THE LIVE GHOST (1934)
THE DEVIL'S BROTHER (1933)
ME AND MY PAL (1933)
THEIR FIRST MISTAKE (1932)
PACK UP YOUR TROUBLES (1932)
SCRAM! (1932)
COUNTY HOSPITAL (1932)
THE CHIMP (1932)
THE MUSIC BOX (1932)
SONS OF THE DESERT (1933)
WAY OUT WEST (1938)
SWISS MISS (1938)

August 24, beginning at 12:15AM
BLOCK-HEADS (1938)
THE FLYING DEUCES (1939)
A CHUMP AT OXFORD (1939)
SAPS AT SEA (1940)
AIR RAID WARDENS (1943)

Good idea to fire up the VCR as there are some great ones in that line-up. Whatever you do, don't miss THE MUSIC BOX!

When I was growing up in the '60s, Laurel & Hardy were on almost as much as The Three Stooges. Same with Abbott & Costello. Those three are my favorite, classic comedy teams. I also love The Marx Brothers and though not a team, I came to appreciate W.C. Fields as I got older.

I do mean the one on TCM. I told my mom that I didn't want to go to soccer on Saturday in order to watch the marathon. I haven't seen any of the shorts yet, but from what I have seen, The Music Box is my favorite. I think Stan is kinda cute. Lunk, do you think I should go to soccer or watch the marathon?
moe-jo
Mongoose

Postby Lunkhead on August 18th, 2008, 5:03 pm

Lunk, do you think I should go to soccer or watch the marathon?

Oh, I wouldn't want to misguide you there. Can you record them while you're out?

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Lunkhead on August 21st, 2008, 8:52 pm

THE BLOB (1988)
INDEPENDENCE DAY (1996)
THE BROOD (1979)
THE FLY (1986)

Image Image