Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
 Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - Robert Redford

Lunkhead's Lair

Stooge & Monster Forums

Skip to content

Robert Redford

From silent classics to the latest blockbuster film, make your opinions known. Non-genre specific here.

Moderator: Xenorama

Robert Redford

Postby moe-jo on June 4th, 2009, 6:39 pm

I really love him! I first saw him in THE GREAT GATSBY (1974), and since then I've fallen in love with him. He's my favorite actor. I have yet to see him in THE STING (1973), and I really want to see that, but I have seen him in BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID (1969), and I LOVED him in that. He's my latest male obsession :laugh1:

Anyways, what do you guys think of Robert Redford? I love him!
"I am not what I am." Iago, from William Shakespeare's Othello
moe-jo
Mongoose

Re: Robert Redford

Postby Preston on June 9th, 2009, 7:28 pm

To answer Moejoe, the way I see it, Redford appeals more to the Female instead of male audience. As I recall, you, Moejoe are Female, so that's why he appeals to you. On the other hand, there are actors such as John Wayne who appeals more to Male audiences.
By the way, if you like Redford, he also appeared in a classic episode of the old Twilight Zone series. He played the Grim Reaper who appeared to an Elderly lady who was about to die. The point was that the old lady was afraid to die but Redford appeared in order to show that Death is nothing to be afraid of at all.
Preston
Mutant

Postby moe-jo on June 10th, 2009, 6:41 pm

That is true! I've never seen that episode.
moe-jo
Mongoose

Postby Lunkhead on June 20th, 2009, 9:58 am

I've always thought he was a fine actor. I saw BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID (1969) when it first came out and that's probably my favorite film of his. Love that TWILIGHT ZONE ep too!
"I'm telling you man. Who is on first."

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby moe-jo on June 30th, 2009, 4:51 pm

I saw him in BRUBAKER (1980) for the second time last night and he's cute in it! It was fun to hear him swear, too. :laugh1:

By the way, before I saw Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, I never really cared for westerns. Now I think they're pretty cool.
moe-jo
Mongoose

Postby moe-jo on July 10th, 2009, 6:33 pm

Preston, I saw the episode of THE TWILIGHT ZONE you were referring to with Robert in it. It was totally shocking! I never imagined he could play the villain but he was pretty good at it!
moe-jo
Mongoose

Postby moe-jo on August 18th, 2009, 6:42 pm

today is robert redford's birthday! he turns 73. happy birthday, robert!
moe-jo
Mongoose

Postby Preston on August 20th, 2009, 9:01 pm

moe-jo wrote:Preston, I saw the episode of THE TWILIGHT ZONE you were referring to with Robert in it. It was totally shocking! I never imagined he could play the villain but he was pretty good at it!

Moejo, I'm glad you were able to catch that TWILIGHT ZONE episode. I guess you caught it on the Scifi channel, right? From what I've seen, that old TZ series is being re-run forever and practically every night. I say "forever" because I've seen the series being re-run for almost ten years already. So not necessary to buy the dvds--instead just watch the re-runs.
Preston
Mutant

Postby moe-jo on August 23rd, 2009, 6:42 pm

yeah i saw it on sci-fi. hey preston? during the show, redford calls the old woman
'mother," is she really his mother?
moe-jo
Mongoose

Postby Preston on August 24th, 2009, 5:24 pm

moe-jo wrote:yeah i saw it on sci-fi. hey preston? during the show, redford calls the old woman
'mother," is she really his mother?

That's odd. I don't recall redford saying that. In that case, I guess I have to watch that episode again. Since you, Moejo, saw that episode just recently, that means I'll have to wait a whole year before that episode is re-run again!! :joeB1:
Preston
Mutant

Postby moe-jo on September 4th, 2009, 7:39 pm

Preston wrote:Since you, Moejo, saw that episode just recently, that means I'll have to wait a whole year before that episode is re-run again!! :joeB1:

i have it recorded on dvr!
moe-jo
Mongoose

Postby Preston on September 4th, 2009, 8:40 pm

In one of your previous posts. Moejo, you said that the TZ episode has Redford as a villain. Well, I would not call that a villainous role. If I'm not mistaken, he played the role of the Grim Reaper, which is not really villainous. After all, at some point, everybody has to die. In the story, the elderly lady was terminally ill and so already expected to die. The appearance of Redford as the Grim Reaper comforted the old lady in the sense that Death is not the horror we expect it to be.
Preston
Mutant

Postby moe-jo on November 22nd, 2009, 6:52 pm

preston, you're very deep. i like that.
moe-jo
Mongoose

Postby Steve on October 13th, 2010, 8:45 pm

It seems like Robert Redford was The Stud of Studs when I was a kid. All the women in the family oohed and cooed over his good looks and always flocked to see his movies. I largely dismissed him because I figured it was all about chick flicks and Redford's pretty boy image lacked any kind of substance.

I was a dopey kid.

I first thought there was more to Redford when I saw The Natural (1984). I loved baseball, and this was a film that the men of the family got together to watch. My best friend and I became fascinated with the movie, quoting it incessantly and burning Wonder Boy into our own baseball bats. But what stuck with me was the mysterious nature of Redford's Roy Hobbs character. Reporter Robert Duvall trying to peg this guy and all he got were oblique, non-committal responses. I liked Redford’s “everyman” persona. In that regard he was kind of like Gregory Peck. He wasn’t an arrogant hunk like I thought he was, and every performance I saw him in revealed a genuine, down-to-earth performer. He was always soft spoken in interviews and at least to me, seemed like a decent guy. He didn’t often appear in the tabloids, either.

When looking at his filmography, especially in the 1970s, there’s a wealth of classic films with fine, understated Redford performances: Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Way We Were, The Hot Rock, The Candidate, Jeremiah Johnson, The Sting, Three Days of the Condor, All the President’s Men and a number of other interesting projects.

I'm particularly fascinated with Three Days of the Condor (1975), which I caught the last twenty minutes of this morning. Seeing New York City circa 1975 was great and a world just unfamiliar enough for me to be fascinated with.

When people think of noted 1970s actors, I wonder if Redford comes to mind. Sure, he was popular and a box office draw, but do his performances get the same attention and adulation as Jack Nicholson, Gene Hackman, or Dustin Hoffman? Probably not. Still, I’d rank Redford up with the best of that 1970s era.
"You're umbday in any language!"
Steve
Grapehead

Postby Lunkhead on October 13th, 2010, 9:12 pm

Good post, Steve. I think you're right. Redford does tend to be forgotten as one of the better '70s actors. I've always found his performances very convincing and engaging.
"I'm telling you man. Who is on first."

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Return to Cinema