Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
 Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - #6 - RESTLESS KNIGHTS (1935)

Lunkhead's Lair

Stooge & Monster Forums

Skip to content

#6 - RESTLESS KNIGHTS (1935)

The shorts and nothing but the shorts (Stooge shorts that is). Slowly we'll post - short by short, week by week. The current short is A DUCKING THEY DID GO

Moderator: DangerkittyToTheRescue

Postby Lunkhead on June 12th, 2005, 2:02 am

In the days of olde, the stooges are called to their ailing father's bedside. Dad (played by Walter Brennan) tells them they are of noble blood and it's their duty to protect the queen from harm. Before leaving, he beckons them to "Come close my sons, that I may bless you." Slap-slap-slap!!!!! A triple-slap in the great stooge tradition.

After arriving at the palace, the boys dazzle everyone with their unique wrestling abilities. However, the queen is suddenly abducted and the stooges are blamed. They face execution, narrowly escape and embark on trying to rescue the queen from the real bad guys.

This entry has many funny scenes (including a daffy sword fight) and lines such as Curly’s 'hot steak and cold chop' bit. Another early goodie.

“From whence came you?” :laugh1:
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Lunkhead on June 12th, 2005, 2:05 am

NOTE: THESE REPLIES ARE FROM THE LUNKHEAD'S ZONE EZBOARD

Megaloman
Lamebrain
(1/25/05 11:26 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
isn't this the first Stooge slap? i thought i read that somewhere.
http://megaloman.proboards24.com/index.cgi

Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle
(1/26/05 7:38 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
Re: #6 - RESTLESS KNIGHTS (1935)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ya mean triple-slap Megs? You're probably right. I don't remember seeing it in any of the previous shorts. Good catch!

Bruckman64
Grapehead
(1/26/05 3:00 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: #6 - RESTLESS KNIGHTS
It's the first triple slap in a Columbia short, but you can see triple slaps in some of the MGM shorts they made w/Ted Healy (THE BIG IDEA, for one). Still, the idea of having Walter Brennan triple slap them is prime, as are the ridiculous names he assigns each of them.

Somewhat of a slow-moving short. This and Horses' Collars have uncertain pacing and demonstrate the Stooges' difficulties in adapting to the 2-reel format; there are some classic scenes (the wrestling bit is a standout) followed by longeurs. Editing in the final sequence could've been tightened a bit. Somehow these period pieces seemed better adapted to the Shemp era, I don't know why. Curly always seemed a little too "streetwise" to fit comfortably into any era other than the 30s or 40s, whereas Shemp, perhaps because of his background as a character actor, was better able to meld into any time period.

I don't know why, but Stanley Blystone's "The guards have been lax", followed by Moe's "No we haven't, we've been wrestling", always gets me. That and the toothless old guard gibbering "The queen! The queen! She's gone!"

Edited by: Bruckman64 at: 1/26/05 3:06 pm

Bruckman64
Grapehead
(1/26/05 3:05 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
Re: #6 - RESTLESS KNIGHTS
BTW, as in HORSES' COLLARS, there's another anachronism (actually more of an inside joke) in the slightly outdated circa 1910 bathing attire Moe and Curly wear during the wrestling scenes. And Larry's leopardskin one-piece probably wouldn't have been found in Regency times either, though that's perhaps debatable.

Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle
(1/26/05 4:58 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter

Quote:
It's the first triple slap in a Columbia short, but you can see triple slaps in some of the MGM shorts they made w/Ted Healy

Ah yes, I should have realized that. Thanks Bruck.

Quote:
the slightly outdated circa 1910 bathing attire

Another good point. - LOL

Megaloman
Lamebrain
(1/26/05 5:06 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
RESTLESS KNIGHTS (1935)
i think Curly's accent and speaking style made him stand out during period pieces- but that was his character.

David
http://megaloman.proboards24.com/index.cgi

DangerkittyToTheRescue
Grapehead
(1/26/05 11:30 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: RESTLESS KNIGHTS (1935)
Moe,,,,"One for all"
Larry,,,,"All for one"
Curly,,,,"Every man for himself."

Its been years since I've seen this short but the scene where Curly leads the chase past Moe and Larry armed with clubs is a classic, and then they knock the queen out.

"Duke of Durham"
"Count of Fife"
"Baron of Greymatter"

Edited by: DangerkittyToTheRescue at: 1/26/05 11:31 pm

Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle
(1/26/05 11:48 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter

"What'd ya do with the queen?" ~ Moe to Larry
"Maybe he trumped her." ~ Curly

"Philadelphia Eagles - 2004 NFC Champs!!!"

stoogefan65
Wiseguy
(3/2/05 4:35 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: #6 - RESTLESS KNIGHTS (1935)
"I would speak with my sons. Summons them."

Did'nt Water Brennan have trouble w/his lines?

Seniorita Rita
Pumpkinbrain
(3/5/05 12:24 am)
Reply | Edit | Del re

Quote:
And Larry's leopardskin one-piece probably wouldn't have been found in Regency times either, though that's perhaps debatable.

That outfit is probably of the best thing about this short! I love the scene where Moe spins Larry around and throws him across the room, landing him right on the throne.
The earlier Stooge films aren't always the most fluid or action-packed, but they're all interesting nonetheless. I've always been intrigued with the verbal gag about the women (Moe: "I'll take the blonde"; Larry: "I'll take the brunette"; Curly: "I'll take the black and tan") just because its so open ended. I think it was repeated in at least one other short.

Thomas Hedison
Applehead
(3/14/05 9:04 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: #6 - RESTLESS KNIGHTS (1935)
Good short, but I've always thought Shemp was more suited for the medieval period shorts than Curly. I wonder what this short would've been like with Shemp instead of Curly. The old English-speak (thee, though, canst vs can, wouldst vs would, etc) seems to come more naturally for Shemp. Curly's "if thou canst sayest Ticonderoga" line makes me cringe a little. How would Shemp handle the wrestling scene? That's one scene Curly steals in this short for sure.

This isn't one of my favorite shorts, but IMO, it's not one of the worst Curly shorts either. I wish Stanley Blystone's small role had been given a little more attention. I think this was his first Stooge short, and he was great in the future ones (even "Goofs and Saddles"). It is funny though to see him smile when watching that lady in the window. That may be the only time he ever smiled in Stooge shorts.
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Wilytank on September 8th, 2006, 4:53 pm

Funny. An 8 out of 10.
Official spammer executioner
My tools of execution...
Wilytank
Termite

RESTLESS KNIGHTS (1935)

Postby Xenorama on February 26th, 2008, 2:43 am

"Queenie!" she sure accepted them on face value!
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Return to The Shorts