Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - Prisoner Episode #4 - Free For All

Prisoner Episode #4 - Free For All

Episode Discussions

Moderator: Xenorama

Prisoner Episode #4 - Free For All

Postby Lunkenstein on November 8th, 2006, 1:27 pm

FREE FOR ALL was written and directed by Patrick McGoohan himself. [Note the opening credits: Written by Paddy Fitz (an occasional alias McGoohan used)]. This is an outstanding episode, filled with wonderful dialogue and imagery. Listen closely to the exchange between Number 2 and the prisoner at the very beginning - outrageously smart and witty bantering. Claiming a democratic society, Number 2 mentions it is election time in the village. Number 6 decides he has nothing to lose by running against Number 2 and may yet discover secrets of the village, so he begins his campaign. Unfortunately, drugs and brainwashing techniques are secretly being used to prep him as a candidate.

Interesting editing techniques are woven through out, with extremely quiet moments contrasting colorful, action sequences. The bizarre villagers are another highlight as we witness their reactions to the unfolding events. Take note of the reporters, Number 113 and 113B who interview and photograph Number 6 in the taxi. When they pull over, Number 6 watches Number 113B running off in one direction, then quickly turns to see him again announcing and holding an instantly printed newspaper of the interview. That little sequence shows how strange reality is in the village, similar to Number 2 talking with 6 on the phone and then immediately being at his front door. "Mohammed?"

There are other wild shots too, such as the guys with the glasses worshipping/studying? Rover near the end. Plus, as much as the villagers support Number 6 during his run, get a load of their faces when he wins the election!

This episode carves another victory notch for the village, as Number 6 is demoralized and deceived from start to finish and suffers a good beating to boot. He doesn't cough up information, but this is surely a setback for him on the road to any kind of answers. FREE FOR ALL has become one of my favorites and it's simply fantastic.

"Are you going to run?" ~ Number 2
"Like blazes the first chance I get." ~ Number 6

"We mustn’t damage the tissue." ~ Number 2

PRISONER SCORE BOARD:

Village: 3
Number 6: 1

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Last edited by Lunkenstein on November 24th, 2006, 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

quite

Postby Xenorama on November 8th, 2006, 9:51 pm

when does Rover get called that? ever? it's the noise it makes that gives it the weird unnerving quality. it looks harmless, and then...

it's very effective and creepy.

David
Last edited by Lunkhead on January 3rd, 2008, 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: font color
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Postby Lunkenstein on November 9th, 2006, 8:39 am

Number 6 and Number 2 both refer to it as Rover in the next episode, "The Schizoid Man". Strange, but that is the only episode where it's called by name. There are many little quirks with the series that obsessive fans (me included) have just come to accept from so many viewings. We're always calling it Rover, even though the label only occurs in one episode. And I know what you mean about Rover's roar and sound. It helps make it scary and alive.

I'm going to try hard to post the remaining episodes on a weekly basis so we can keep it flowing. As the series progresses, you're going to see some pretty strange stuff. I know for myself, many things didn't make sense the first time around. There have been some viewers who initially like the early shows, but then find it gets too bizarre for them. Part of what's made it a classic is its ability to continually ignite praise, frustration, analysis, outrage, discussion of hidden meanings, and searching for answers, all while gaining new fans who love it and then others who dismiss it as completely nuts. Hold on to your seat Megs. It's gonna be a wild ride.

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Postby Exile on November 14th, 2006, 7:52 pm

I just watched Free For All last night to be prepared to discuss it here. I've seen it 4 or so times, but I never noticed how depressing this one is. It takes a real cynical look at the democratic process. Also it's one of the few episodes where number 2 completely walks all over 6. He seems to fall for each one of 2's traps. You can tell that it's supposed to take place early in the series.
Exile
Pumpkinbrain

Postby Wilytank on November 15th, 2006, 6:03 pm

Hey! Exile's back!
Official spammer executioner
My tools of execution...
Wilytank
Termite

Return to The Prisoner