Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
 Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - #9 - PARDON MY SCOTCH (1935)

Lunkhead's Lair

Stooge & Monster Forums

Skip to content

#9 - PARDON MY SCOTCH (1935)

The shorts and nothing but the shorts (Stooge shorts that is). Slowly we'll post - short by short, week by week. The current short is A DUCKING THEY DID GO

Moderator: DangerkittyToTheRescue

Postby Lunkhead on June 12th, 2005, 2:22 am

While working at a drug store, the stooges concoct a potent drink which passes for excellent Scotch. Adding every ingredient under the sun and mixing it in an old boot, it gives a liquor salesman such a jolt that he offers them a contract. Deciding to test their booze (called The Breath of Heather) at a party, the boys enter dressed as Scotsmen McSniff, McSnuff and McSnort. They cause trouble before, during and after dinner, including a hilarious scene with Billy Gilbert as an opera singer. Flicking fruit into his mouth in an attempt to silence him, he storms off calling them pigs. Don't miss the pineapple Moe hurls at him which has an excellent curve to strike Billy off camera.

Another funny, well done outing for the boys. As most fans know, Moe broke a couple ribs while falling from a table in an early scene. Gotta admire him for finishing the scene while in great pain.

"They will now perform their native dance."

"I ain't takin my clothes off for no one." ~ :curly1:
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Lunkhead on June 12th, 2005, 2:24 am

NOTE: THESE REPLIES ARE FROM THE LUNKHEAD'S ZONE EZBOARD

Megaloman
Lamebrain
(3/29/05 11:26 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
definately starting to hit their stride- this is a classic. the fruit into the mouth thing would be repeated a few times, wouldn't it? great stuff here.
http://megaloman.proboards24.com/index.cgi

stoogefan65
Wiseguy
(3/30/05 4:20 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: #9 - PARDON MY SCOTCH (1935)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Great short !! I think their Scottish names were "McSniff , McSnuff and McSnort !!!"

Thomas Hedison
Nitwit
(4/4/05 8:20 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: #9 - PARDON MY SCOTCH (1935)

Quote:
the fruit into the mouth thing would be repeated a few times, wouldn't it?

Only once in the Stooge shorts. Gino Corrado's mouth was the target in "Micro Phonies". I wonder if any other comedians or comedy teams did it on film. It seems like something the Marx brothers would do. I haven't seen all their films yet.

Anyway, good short. From the workshop to the drugstore to the party, the laughs are pretty consistant. Moe showed how tough he was by continuing on after breaking his ribs. I read that he passed out after the scene was over and was rushed to the hospital. They continued filming the short when he returned, probably at least a week later. I'd like to know how long this short took to film overall.

Moe and Larry must've liked playing fake Scotsmen. They did it in the Shemp shorts, "The Hot Scots" and it's remake, "Scotched in Scotland", as well as a few seconds in the short, "Self-Made Maids".

The times that Larry's kilt fell down at the party were probably unintentional, and definitely hilarious! The dinner scene was great too. Isn't this the one where Larry nibbles on a flower, then prepares a plate of flowers and gives it to Moe to eat?

Megaloman
Lamebrain
(4/4/05 8:11 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
PARDON MY SCOTCH (1935)
i really did think they did the fruit in the mouth with Shemp as well, or into a woman's mouth, i forget.

DangerkittyToTheRescue
Applehead
(4/4/05 11:51 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: PARDON MY SCOTCH (1935)
Two good gags in the beginning on this one. The "hello" gag where Moe Larry Curly all answer the gentleman on the phone and the door goes on left, left, right, left march. There is also the flying pineapple that takes a curve in mid flight to nail the target. The scene that cracks me up is where Moe is slamming the tap on the keg with wild abandon force before it blows up.

Moe,,,,"This ought to pick him up."
Curly,,,,"And lay him down too."

Larry,,,,Maybe we better humor him."
Curly,,,,I'll marry him if there is enough money in it."

Scotsman,,,,"Are you laddies, by chance, from Lochlumen"?
Curly,,,,"No, we're from lockjaw, nyuk, nyuk, nyuk." smack smack

stoogefan65
Wiseguy
(4/29/05 3:09 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: PARDON MY SCOTCH (1935)
Larry's toast , "Vergeharget" , is Yiddish for "Drop Dead." Who'd a thunk it!!!"

Megaloman
Lamebrain
(4/29/05 11:08 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
more PARDON MY SCOTCH (1935)
lots of times in various movies you'd get "toasts" like that, or names that would be interesting to the rest of the public if they knew Yiddish...

David

Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle
(4/30/05 9:50 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
Re: PARDON MY SCOTCH (1935)

Quote:
Larry's toast , "Vergeharget" , is Yiddish for "Drop Dead."

That's a riot! I had no ideer!! Thanks for that trivia.
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

pARDON MY SCOTCH (1935)

Postby Xenorama on March 3rd, 2008, 3:32 am

i have learned in my education that "whisky" is the Scots blend, and "whiskey" is the Irish blend. pre-prohibition (what a lousy idea that was) it was the Irish blend that was far more popular in this country.

David
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Re: #9 - PARDON MY SCOTCH (1935)

Postby Lunkhead on March 4th, 2008, 6:12 pm

These sure look great on the new set! I gotta watch 'em again soon myself.
"I'm telling you man. Who is on first."

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Return to The Shorts