Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - Creepy Classics Home Page

Creepy Classics Home Page

Links to joints that go bump in the night or make the earth stand still anytime. Monsters, horror, sci-fi --- yeah man!

Moderator: Xenorama

Creepy Classics Home Page

Postby Afa Dollah on March 22nd, 2008, 12:53 pm

Here is a link to Creepy Classics, they have DVD's & VHS (new and used), tshirts, posters, magazines, collectibles and lots of cool monster stuff.

http://www.creepyclassics.com/scripts/shopplus.cgi?DN=creepyclassics.com&cartid=99664095448&FILE=/index2.html

There is a MONSTERBASH scheduled for June 20 - 22, 2008 in Butler, PA, north of Pittsburgh. Some folks back in that part of the country might be able to make it. Lots of great guests including Forrest J. Ackerman, the Ackemonster himself. Used to love Famous Monsters of Filmland.
"Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape!"
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

Re: Creepy Classics Home Page

Postby Lunkenstein on March 22nd, 2008, 8:18 pm

Thanks for posting these links, Afa. Creepy Classics is a great site. Folks from there have turned up at BLOB-FEST in Phoenixville, PA (where THE BLOB was filmed). I was able to buy a copy of the hard-to-find Lugosi film, VOODOO MAN (1944) from them.

As for MONSTERBASH, I've always wanted to attend one of those, but it would be a 6 or 7 hour drive. But to meet Forry in person, oh man - I really should try. I spoke with him on the phone once in 2002 and he was just so cool.

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Postby Afa Dollah on March 23rd, 2008, 11:50 am

WOW!!! You actually SPOKE to the Ackermonster??!!! :frankenstein1: That is ULTRA-COOL. What was THAT all about?

That is a long drive for a monsterbash, but I drove to San Diego from here and spent the night so I could attend a book signing by Terry Pratchett. That's about five hours or so each way. I guess it just depends on the coicumstances you happen to be a victim of. :curly1:
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

Postby Lunkenstein on March 23rd, 2008, 4:07 pm

Afa, here's the post from (12/17/02) at my old EzBoard which details the phone encounter I had with Forry back then:

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
I was alerted to Forry Ackerman's current situation over at the Xenorama board recently. Here is the thread: pub59.ezboard.com/fxenoramafrm1.showMessage?topicID=355.topic

Forry's life achievements are staggering, but in short, he was the editor for Famous Monsters of Filmland--the super, monster mag we children of the 60's went nuts over. He also coined the term "Sci-Fi" and had the most extensive collection of monster/horror/sci-fi memorabillia ever. This has been a very rough year for him in both health and legal areas. He has a website at 4forry.best.vwh.net/ . - It's a really cool site, but hasn't been updated for a while. For the most current info on him, visit this fan's site at http://www.ackerfandom.com/

The following is from the page on Forry's health at the site listed above:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<<< We visited Forry in his new home very recently, so this is fresh news:

Forrest J Ackerman was so ill earlier this year that rumors spread widely in fandom he was dying. Yet he's managed to survive severe medical problems that have downed lesser men. He is now partially bed-ridden with 24/7 care and will probably always need more health care than ever. Bill Warren, also recovering from hospitalization, notes that while "Forry has a long process ahead with no prognosis for full recovery, he's beaten the odds more than once. Just knowing how many people want him to get better will help Forry enormously, so send cards and letters, or give him a call."

However, at 85-going-on-86, Forry could no longer manage all those stairs in the Ackermansion, his wonderful old 18-room Hollywood Hills mansion. The house was sold, his collection dispersed for sale to pay bills. So a long-time SF and media shrine is now only a cherished memory. Robert Chapman noted that Forry's collection was a great legacy and research source that may never again be matched.

Forry has leased a little 1911 Craftsman-style bungalow that has the advantage of not being on a dangerously steep hill and it's only 3 blocks from House of Pies, one of Forry's very favorite restaurants (Forry's idea of a healthy Basic Food Group includes pies & chocolate éclairs.) Forry kept many of his most treasured items: the Metropolis robotrix, a Cylon, his trophies and awards, his piano (with child-sized teeth marks where he bit it in frustration over having to practice!) Joe Moe reports that Forry is really settling down in his new home and loving it.

One of the first things Forry did to this little house was to get his bedroom walls painted bright red with metallic gold trim on all the doors and windows, as you can see here. This will not surprise anyone familiar with Forry's outré taste in home décor! This bedroom, where Forry spends much of his time, is also crammed with his favorite photos, artwork and other memorabilia.

Forry loves visitors, but tires quickly, so don't stay long or come in a crowd. First call to see if he is strong enough that day for visitors. Don't commiserate with him about his collection. Forry seems to have let go of it with almost a sigh of relief. He deals only with the moment.

Joe Moe, Forry's long-time friend, has been busy cleaning out the old house and installing things in the new house. Joe reports "Everything is progressing well. I will store permanent archival boxes in the back of the rental space, plus stuff we can process and eliminate later. At this point, I'm installing the remnants of the collection at the new house, waiting for Brian to pick through whatever's left over, and planning to store the rest until later. We're really making headway here, although every door I open seems to have a dozen boxes stacked behind it! I think you'll like what I'm doing with the new house."

To introduce Joe Moe, he's rented the Ackermansion 'servant's quarters' for the past 6 years - probably the only person who ever paid rent during long stays or use of Forry's house for their own pursuits. Once word got out that Forry was selling his home and his collection, Joe suddenly got a lot of unwarranted flak when the collection was dismantled. long-absent friends suddenly materialized to question Joe's thankless and difficult job. In fact, Joe has protected Forry against several 'bad guys,' managed his day-to-day business and affairs, did his laundry and was a constant presence who didn't care about anything except Forry's happiness and health. Most importantly, if Joe hadn't taken matters into his own hands to get Forry into the hospital when he was seriously ill, we'd all be mourning a beloved friend.

The Trimbles have known and wondered at and loved and been entirely exasperated by Forry for nearly 50 years. Our children thought their dearest 'Uncle Forry' was a genuine relative. He was certainly a more loving and responsive relative than my own! But since we are a busy family with far too many of our own concerns, we can't be constantly at Forry's side. We are extremely grateful for Joe (as well as others who helped out) and think it's time he got some credibility. He's done yeoman work keeping things steady and as unhassled as possible for Forry.

We visited Forry in the hospital and had no idea what was happening at the Ackermansion. It was a major shock to see the Ackermuseum stripped to the walls, as shown in this photo! Much of the movie still collection disappeared while Forry was incapacitated, but most of the collection is accounted for.

Thought some of Forry's collection went to a Berlin museum long ago, it didn't purchase as much as he hoped. So there is a great deal still left, being stored or put up for sale to help cover Forry's expenses. Brian Anthony and Paul Taglianetti are coordinating efforts to put items on eBay: search for 'Ackerman Collection.' Jerry Weist, auction evaluator, is selling the art collection. Jim Rock, bookseller, took books to protect them from being stolen while Forry was ill and will sell some. Some but not all of the Garage Mahal contents went to another dealer. These folk are doing their best under complicated and difficult circumstances, while Forry's friends, enemies, acquaintances as well as complete strangers - such as reporters - make a lot of noise without finding the facts. In a way it seems to us as if Forry finds it a relief to be out from under the huge responsibility of the Ackermuseum at last. He may not have chosen this method of doing so, but there is an up side to the situation. Forry no longer has slavering sycophants hanging around hoping to inherit the collection. Interestingly, none of these hangers-on have been seen since the collection was dispersed! Forry also no longer has to worry so much about the far-too-many light-fingered visitors who called themselves his fans, but who have also over the years walked away with an incredible number of collectibles.

Fans always fund-raising ideas such as suggest forming a fund to help Forry. Unfortunately, it costs money to raise money. None of us has the finances to do this. It would be a staggering job just contacting all the fans who might (might!) contribute something to tell them of the situation. Postage and printing for the list in Forry's guest books alone would be a huge amount and many of those addresses are out of date. The Internet isn't nearly as efficient as most think in getting The Word Out when it's needed. We would reach only a small percentage of those potential donors.

Some fans suggest tapping into some already-established relief fund to help Forry, but we think it would only deplete the established fund without doing much to relieve Forry's staggering bills.

Many fans want to know why some of Forry's movie contacts with loads of money (Stephen King, Steven Spielberg, George Lucas) have not come forward to help? The simple answer is that they don't seem to remember how Famous Monsters of Filmland influenced them as kids. Some have been true friends, visiting him in the hospital, paying much more than usual for some of Forry's souvenirs, etc. John Landis has been a true friend, as has Ray Bradbury and many others.

If you - or anyone else you know - want to do something go to <http://www.best.com/~4forry> and buy something from the Garage Mahal. Small purchases won't do much for Forry's major problems, but this will make him feel much better!

You can also help by keeping in contact. Forry loves getting cheerful or silly or sexy (especially sexy!) cards and letters and phone calls. So please pass on this news to others, then write to him and urge others to do the same. - JOHN and BJO TRIMBLE <ussjgt@earthlink.net> <bjotrimble@earthlink.net>

FORREST J ACKERMAN
"Mr. Sci-Fi"
4511 Russell Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90027
323-Moon-Fan (666-6326)
<http://www.best.com/~4forry> >>>
After reading about his current situation, I decided to try and give him a call today. Happily, I was able to make contact. What a wonderful, gracious and funny man. It was a thrill speaking with him and only wish I could visit him in person. We chatted for about 10 to 15 minutes. He spoke with my son too! He told me how he's been working on his auto-biography and recently finished his 100th cameo.

He also told me this great story:
<<< I have a chair in which Abraham Lincoln was photographed. I sat a little girl down in it and I said, "Do you know who Abraham Lincoln was?" She said, "I don't know - I don't go to kindergarten yet." So I showed her a penny and said, "Do you know who that is?" She said, "Vincent Price!" >>>
We both had a good laugh.
I told him how much I loved reading FM as a kid and the influence it had on me as a monster fan. Also thanked him for all he's done for us through the years. (I refrained from mentioning the loss of the collection, as requested on the website. Rather, it's better to concentrate on the positive.) He's really a great, great guy. His sense of humor is something I've always loved in addition to everything else. If you're a fan of Forry & Famous Monsters and get a chance, give him a buzz or send a letter. You'll be glad you did.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

There have been a couple recent posts at the Classic Horror Film Board about Forry's current health.
(he recently turned 91!)
Here are the links to those threads:
http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum.yuku.com/topic/10547/t/Is-Forry-alright-Rumor-of-an-injury.html
http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum.yuku.com/topic/15317/t/Uncle-Forry.html

As far as the address from the above post,

FORREST J ACKERMAN
"Mr. Sci-Fi"
4511 Russell Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90027
323-Moon-Fan (666-6326)

his address is still the same - I'm not sure about the phone number. Friends say he still loves to receive letters (and probably phone calls).

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Postby Afa Dollah on March 24th, 2008, 11:48 am

Lunk, that's really awesome. Thanks for posting that article as well. I'll try to get a letter off to the Ackermonster here soon. I got many, many hours of enjoyment out of FAMOUS MONSTERS. In fact, I still have a few issues around, I have no idea what happened to the rest of them.
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

Postby Lunkenstein on March 24th, 2008, 6:38 pm

You're welcome, Afa. FJA is really cool to talk to. I think what's left of my FAMOUS MONSTERS mags are out in the garage somewhere. I'm such a pack-rat! I have stuff all over the place and finding things is such a horrible task - someday I'll get organized (didn't DeNiro say something like that in TAXI DRIVER :laugh1: )

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Postby Afa Dollah on March 25th, 2008, 2:06 pm

I know what you mean. :wink: I only found mine when I moved my stuff here from my folk's garage and went through everything. I have a feeling some of them might have been tossed or sold when they moved from KS to AZ. Mom always thought it was strange that I bought those and watched Creature Feature, which she REALLY hated. :frankenstein1: Got tired of finding me asleep on the couch in front of a snowy white TV screen I guess. Had a hard time staying awake for the second movie. :laugh1:
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

Postby Lunkenstein on March 30th, 2008, 12:51 am

Got tired of finding me asleep on the couch in front of a snowy white TV screen I guess. Had a hard time staying awake for the second movie.

Same here. Usually I could do it, but not always. I remember catching THE KILLER SHREWS at 2:00am once, but the first time trying to see BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, I conked out shortly before it began - woke briefly when Una O'Connor was screaming at the beginning, then fell back asleep for the rest of the night. Needless to say, I was disappointed the next morning. Another memory is trying to view THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN for the first time - again I fell asleep before it began, then woke near the very end (after the spider battle). I saw him walking through the screen into the yard and had absolutely no idea what he was talking about and then it ended. Man was I confused. Eventually, it became one of my all-time favorites after finally seeing it - I later read the book too!

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Return to Monstrous Links