Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
 Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - Truth Is Stranger Than Fiction

Lunkhead's Lair

Stooge & Monster Forums

Skip to content

Truth Is Stranger Than Fiction

General talk about any old ting. Let's yak!

Moderator: DangerkittyToTheRescue

Re: Truth Is Stranger Than Fiction

Postby moe-jo on March 26th, 2008, 5:24 pm

so this topic is basically supposed to be about weird stories in the news right? Well, here's some I found just now:

http://www.newsoftheweird.com/archive/index.html
"I am not what I am." Iago, from William Shakespeare's Othello
moe-jo
Mongoose

Postby Lunkhead on March 29th, 2008, 11:33 pm

wild stuff, for sure.
"I'm telling you man. Who is on first."

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby moe-jo on March 31st, 2008, 5:09 pm

I got the news about this last night at my Youth Group from my friend John, so here's the story:

I can't remember if it was this past weekend or last Easter weekend, but John went to a party up in Encinitas at one of his good friends' house. Everyone there was drinking and doing drugs (drugs haven't been confirmed but they were definitely drinking). John left before it happened, but for some reason these older college kids (John said they were about 23) barged into the party with baseball bats and basically bludgeoned everyone, and now one of the kids in my PE class is in a coma. What's your guys' take on this?
moe-jo
Mongoose

Postby moe-jo on April 3rd, 2008, 5:38 pm

and here's something else I got from another forum:

Cops: 3rd-Graders Aimed to Hurt Teacher
2008-04-01 20:51:01
By RUSS BYNUM Associated Press Writer

WAYCROSS, Ga. (AP) — A group of third-graders plotted to attack their teacher, bringing a broken steak knife, handcuffs, duct tape and other items for the job and assigning children tasks including covering the windows and cleaning up afterward, police said Tuesday.

The plot by as many as nine boys and girls at Center Elementary School in south Georgia was a serious threat, Waycross Police Chief Tony Tanner said.

"We did not hear anybody say they intended to kill her, but could they have accidentally killed her? Absolutely," Tanner said. "We feel like if they weren't interrupted, there would have been an attempt. Would they have been successful? We don't know."

The children, ages 8 and 9, were apparently mad at the teacher because she had scolded one of them for standing on a chair, Tanner said. A prosecutor said they are too young to be charged with a crime under Georgia law.

School officials alerted police Friday after a pupil tipped off a teacher that a girl had brought a weapon to school, Tanner said.

Police seized a broken steak knife, handcuffs, duct tape, electrical and transparent tape, ribbons and a crystal paperweight from the students, who apparently intended to use them against the teacher, Tanner said.

Nine children have been given discipline up to and including long-term suspension, said Theresa Martin, spokeswoman for the Ware County school system. She would not be more specific but said none of the children had been back to school since the case came to light.

The purported target is a veteran educator who teaches third-grade students with learning disabilities including attention deficit disorder, delayed development and hyperactivity, friends and parents said.

The scheme involved a division of roles, Tanner said. One child's job was to cover windows so no one could see outside, he said. Another was supposed to clean up after the attack.

"We're not sure at this point in the investigation how many of the students actually knew the intent was to hurt the teacher," Tanner said.

The parents of the students have cooperated with investigators, who aren't allowed to question the children without their parents' or guardians' consent, he said. Authorities have withheld the children's names.

Police expected to forward the results of their investigation to prosecutors, Tanner said.

Children in Georgia can't be charged with a crime unless they are at least 13, District Attorney Rick Currie said.

Martin told The Florida Times-Union of Jacksonville, Fla., that administrators would follow school system policy and state law in disciplining the students.

"From what I understand, they were considered pretty good kids," Martin said. "But we have to take this seriously, whether they were serious or not about carrying this through, and that's what we did."

Four mothers of other third-grade students at Center Elementary called for the immediate expulsion of the suspected plotters.

Stacy Carter and Deana Hiott both cited school system policy stating that any student who brings "anything reasonably considered to be a weapon" is to be expelled for at least the remainder of the school year.

"We don't want our children around them," Carter told the Times-Union. "The one with the knife could have stabbed my child or someone else's child at lunch or out on the playground."

"This is an isolated incident, an aberration. ... We have good kids," Center Principal Angie Coleman told the newspaper.
moe-jo
Mongoose

Postby moe-jo on April 4th, 2008, 11:35 am

and yet another strange story:

From AP:

Man steals guitar by placing it in pants

Thu Apr 3, 6:36 PM ET

LEWISTON, Maine - Police are searching for a man accused of shoving an electric guitar in his pants and walking out of a store in Lewiston, Maine.

Police say the theft occurred last week and they're looking for three men. One of the men shoved a Fender Stratocaster in his pants and pulled a sweatshirt over the top. The other two acted as lookouts.

All three can be seen on footage from video surveillance.

Strangely enough, the music shop has seen the method before. A man did the same thing in 2006 but was caught as he tried to walk out.
moe-jo
Mongoose

Postby Lunkhead on April 6th, 2008, 10:25 am

moe-jo wrote:I got the news about this last night at my Youth Group from my friend John, so here's the story:

I can't remember if it was this past weekend or last Easter weekend, but John went to a party up in Encinitas at one of his good friends' house. Everyone there was drinking and doing drugs (drugs haven't been confirmed but they were definitely drinking). John left before it happened, but for some reason these older college kids (John said they were about 23) barged into the party with baseball bats and basically bludgeoned everyone, and now one of the kids in my PE class is in a coma. What's your guys' take on this?

That's sad to hear. Is the kid doing any better? I hope he comes out of it.

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby moe-jo on April 7th, 2008, 1:52 pm

Lunkhead wrote:Is the kid doing any better?

I meant to ask my friend Lauren about it during PE class but forgot and now we're on Spring Break, so it'll have to wait until next week.
moe-jo
Mongoose

Postby moe-jo on April 9th, 2008, 11:58 am

Another weird story out of Florida. Get this: A 16-year-old girl was lured into a home and beaten by cheerleaders. Apparently, the girl had posted some rude things about the cheerleaders on MySpace. Even worse, two guys stood outside the front door and poked their heads in and said, "Hey, you girls have to keep it down in there." That's it. They didn't even try to break up the fight. Well, it wasn't really a fight. The girls just kept beating her and beating her and beating her relentlessly. And even worse than that, when the punks were thrown in jail, they were all laughing and joking, and one of the girls asked, "Am I gonna miss cheerleading practice tomorrow?" The video is probably on cnn.com. You can go there and watch it if you like. It's terrible.
moe-jo
Mongoose

Postby Lunkhead on April 9th, 2008, 7:22 pm

Absolutely disgraceful and insane - Doing that over myspace comments.

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby moe-jo on April 10th, 2008, 12:09 pm

exactly my point, which makes me wonder: why is there so much more drama with girls on MySpace than with boys? I mean, boys have MySpaces too, but you never see them doing this.
moe-jo
Mongoose

Postby moe-jo on April 29th, 2008, 4:46 pm

Lunkhead wrote:Is the kid doing any better?

I talked to my friend Lauren. Tim is out of the hospital and at home. I haven't seen him at school lately, however.
moe-jo
Mongoose

Postby Lunkhead on April 29th, 2008, 5:35 pm

That's good to hear. I hope he mends quickly.

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Ear Problem

Postby Preston on June 30th, 2008, 8:16 pm

Back to true oddities again, here's an old one that I have not posted yet. A man had a hearing difficulty in his left ear for three years but had kept putting it off, procrastinating for a long time. Finally, after those three years, he decided to go to his Doctor. After examination, the Doctor found that three years ago, while the patient was Sleeping, a Roach had crawled into his Ear and had died there. Being dead, the Roach became buried in the accumulating ear-wax. That's right, the Roach had been in his Ear for three years!
Preston
Mutant

Postby moe-jo on June 30th, 2008, 9:39 pm

whoah...talk about a hearing aid... :laugh1:

Here's another one that I saw a while back on Headline News:

I forget what state it was in, but a male teacher taught high school English students for I believe it was 26 years without being able to read. :yikes:
moe-jo
Mongoose

Re: Ear Problem

Postby Lunkhead on July 1st, 2008, 6:01 pm

Preston wrote:Back to true oddities again, here's an old one that I have not posted yet. A man had a hearing difficulty in his left ear for three years but had kept putting it off, procrastinating for a long time. Finally, after those three years, he decided to go to his Doctor. After examination, the Doctor found that three years ago, while the patient was Sleeping, a Roach had crawled into his Ear and had died there. Being dead, the Roach became buried in the accumulating ear-wax. That's right, the Roach had been in his Ear for three years!

I think I'm gonna grab me some Q-Tips!

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion