Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
 Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - What have you watched lately?

Lunkhead's Lair

Stooge & Monster Forums

Skip to content

What have you watched lately?

From silent classics to the latest blockbuster film, make your opinions known. Non-genre specific here.

Moderator: Xenorama

What have you watched lately?

Postby Xenorama on January 1st, 2009, 6:25 pm

aren't those Rocketman serials great? Radar Men is what i consider my "first" serial. King of the Rocketmen is pretty good also, though if you've seen one of them you've seen ALL the same flying footage!

i've been watching Maho Sentai Magiranger, the first three "Thin Man" movies (so much fun), Duck Soup (how did Groucho get away with all those double entendres back then?) and Batman cartoons.

David
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

Re: What have you watched lately?

Postby Lunkhead on January 1st, 2009, 6:36 pm

I love RADAR MEN. It's really a fun serial. I had a short 8mm version of it as a kid.
Duck Soup (how did Groucho get away with all those double entendres back then?)

He was so great!

Not sure if I've ever seen THE THIN MAN films. Maybe, years ago. I'll have to give 'em a look.
"I'm telling you man. Who is on first."

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Preston on January 3rd, 2009, 8:04 pm

Since David mentioned serials, I thought I would list my favorites which are The Black Whip and also the Masked Marvel. The main reason I like the Masked Marvel is because his outfit resembles that of the Green Hornet, what with the mask and fedora. Having enjoyed the Green Hornet TVseries as much as I did, I wish I could see the serial version. If I'm Not mistaken, in the theatrical serial, G-H wore a different mask, Not a domino mask but more of a bandana.

As for what I watched lately:
Outer Limits: Tourist Attraction
Outer Limits: The Special One
To describe those episodes in a polite way, they are lower-strata episodes. But since I haven't seen them for over 5 years, I decided to dust them off and watch again. Of the two, I prefer The Special One, because the creatures from Tourist Attraction are not menacing at all. When they are shown Underwater, they are spooky due to the water's murkiness, but those moments are too fleeting, so 90-per cent of the episode is ho-hum.
The other episode, The Special One, has roughly the feel of a Grade-B movie, which is Not necessarily bad in that many Grade-B movies were highly entertaining. It's somewhat clever how the aliens try to use a kid in their invasion attempt.
Well, those two episodes go back into my closet again, to be kept there unwatched for another 5
years. Next week, I'll view the episodes The Galaxy Being and The Guests which I've seen for at least 25 times each.
Preston
Mutant

Postby Lunkhead on January 3rd, 2009, 8:55 pm

Ah, OL - I just love the series. Preston, did you notice your avatar is now larger?

It's now 100 X 100 instead of 60 X 60. I had a few minutes to tinker around. :wink:

I also enjoyed THE GREEN HORNET. I recall when it was originally on before TIME TUNNEL on Friday nights back in '66.

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Preston on January 5th, 2009, 8:50 pm

Lunkhead wrote:Ah, OL - I just love the series. Preston, did you notice your avatar is now larger?

It's now 100 X 100 instead of 60 X 60. I had a few minutes to tinker around. :wink:

I also enjoyed THE GREEN HORNET. I recall when it was originally on before TIME TUNNEL on Friday nights back in '66.

Actually,I did not notice the avatar Enlargment until you mentioned it. I guess 100 x 100 is not much different than 60 x 60. But thanks anyway. Now that you mention about size, it reminds me of a rare TV series called World Of Giants , NOT to be confused with Land of Giants. Instead, World Of Giants starred Marshal Thompson playing a man who abnormally shrank. At that size, he is hired by the government to work as a secret agent. I'm still trying to get a video of that TV series. Back in the early 1980s, there used to be a VCR collector, Bill, in my town, from whom I used to get some TV shows. That was before the Outer Limits became pre-recorded video tapes, so I had to get them from other collectors. So I bought from Bill. One day, when I was at his apartment to get some more of The Outer Limits, he played for me a tape of that World Of Giants. The tape must have been 2nd or even 3rd generation because the picture was so blurry, but from what I recall, it showed Marshal Thompson standing on a carpet beside a table. A pencil happened to roll off that table and fall toward him. At Thompson's shrunken size, the pencil appeared "gigantic" to him, comparatively. At least as "gigantic" as the Main trunk of a giant Redwood tree. If that pencil had fallen on him, it would have easily crushed him. Luckily, he safely dodged the lethal "log." That's all I recall.

At that time, I would have bought a tape of that series from Bill, but as I said, the tape was in too poor a condition, much too blurry. So, as interesting as the tape was, I passed it up.

But in the back of my mind, I still stayed interested in that series. So, Lunk, if you ever find a dealer who is selling video of that series, maybe you can let me know, hopefully. In fact, I'm sure you would want to get one for yourself too.

What a segue, huh, Lunk, to segue from your mention of the avatar size to segue to a Shrinking Man. :laugh1:
Preston
Mutant

Postby Lunkhead on January 7th, 2009, 9:04 pm

Preston, I'm not sure if you may have mentioned that series before, but I know I've never seen it. I did a search though and look what I found on YouTube:

If you look at it on YouTube, you can read some posted comments. Someone mentioned it was a syndicated series originally and not widely shown. => http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QdWwxGv0D8

I also found this page where a seller has 108 rare TV pilots on DVD for $50.00
http://www.ioffer.com/i/60926196
It only has the pilot of WORLD OF GIANTS though.

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Lunkhead on January 7th, 2009, 9:29 pm

RADAR MEN FROM THE MOON (1952):
Chapter 6 Hills of Death
Chapter 7 Camouflaged Destruction
Chapter 8 The Enemy Planet

LIGHTS OUT:
Curtain Call

THE TWILIGHT ZONE:
I Shot an Arrow into the Air

THE THREE STOOGES:
Mutts to You (1938)

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Preston on January 9th, 2009, 8:39 pm

Hey, Lunk, much obliged for the lead to World Of Giants. As you can see, the Youtube clip included that Pencil drop I mentioned. Odd though, because I had remembered the Pencil as being shown much bigger than it's shown in the clip. I guess it's due to the passage of years combined with my enthusiasm.

As for what I watched lately:
FUN IN ACAPULCO Since it was Elvis Presley's birthday the other day, so channel TCM ran an Elvis marathon. So I caught Acapulco. Just as the title says, the emphasis on fun. Good songs in there, with my favorite being "Bossanova Baby."

Favorite dialogue from the movie:

It's at a bar, and the Female date says: "Want to drink a Margarita?"

And Elvis answers:"Hey, any drink that's named after a Woman has got to be good." :happy1:
Preston
Mutant

Postby Lunkhead on January 11th, 2009, 5:05 pm

You're welcome, Preston. It was neat to see the first few minutes of WOG.

THE THREE STOOGES:
They Stooge to Conga (1943)
Spook Louder (1943)

FIREFLY:
Our Mrs. Reynolds

THE PETRIFIED FOREST (1936)

MERRIE MELODIES:
Coo Coo Nut Grove

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Lunkhead on January 12th, 2009, 11:04 pm

RADAR MEN FROM THE MOON (1952):
Chapter 9 Battle in the Stratosphere
Chapter 10 Mass Execution
Chapter 11 Planned Pursuit
Chapter 12 Death of the Moon Man

DR SYN: THE SCARECROW OF ROMNEY MARSH (1964) Part 1

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Lunkhead on January 22nd, 2009, 7:17 am

DR SYN: THE SCARECROW OF ROMNEY MARSH (1964) Part 2

THE RIFLEMAN:
Outlaw's Inheritance

DR SYN: THE SCARECROW OF ROMNEY MARSH (1964) Part 3

SCANNERS (1981)
THE SHINING (1980)

LOCK UP:
Music to Murder By

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Preston on January 22nd, 2009, 9:04 pm

THE IMMORTAL VOYAGE OF CAPTAIN DRAKE Latest movie with Adrian Paul who used to act in the Highlander series. It's a made-for-tv movie whose promos I saw and which persuaded me to watch. At first glance, I thought it was a Sinbad film, what with the sea serpent, well, actually, a giant lobster. Although using the historical Sir Francis Drake but of course the movie is fictional. In accordance with history, it was expected that his nemesis would be a Spanish captain. So I kept watching until the fantasy-elements appeared. It was when Drake's daughter was abducted and held hostage by a Sultan so that Drake would be forced to find the Immortality-Elixir for the Sultan, which is believed to be fruits from an enchanted tree. At that point,I felt hopeful for some Sinbad-type fantasy. But all I got was just the giant lobster I mentioned earlier, and then having to wait til the end for the serpent which guarded the enchanted fruit tree. Well, Lunk, maybe I expected too much from this movie. I mean that fantasy on the high seas can be done quite well. For example, look at the TV-series The Adventures Of Sinbad. Very well done. In fact, much as I hate to sound sacrilegious, but I consider the Sinbad TV series to be even better than the movies starring Kerwin Matthews. Reason for that attitude is because the Kerwin Matthews movies relied too much on spfx-monsters whereas the Television series relied on innovative plots and ideas. I hope I don't sound sacrilegious in saying that the TV series surpassed Kerwin Matthews. To avoid offending any fans of Mr. Matthews, I should say IMHO (In My Humble Opinion).
Preston
Mutant

Postby Lunkhead on January 29th, 2009, 9:43 am

Hey, everyone's entitled to their opinions. It's funny you mentioning Kerwin Mathews as I just watched JACK THE GIANT KILLER (1962) last night. I already had a taped version from AMC, but this viewing was from the MGM DVD which I recently purchased from Big Lots for just $3.00! Great, clear, widescreen print. Big Lots has been selling many great titles at that price. They seem to rotate their stock and you never know what you might find.

JACK THE GIANT KILLER is a film my friends and I just flipped over when we were kids. We went to see it at least 2 or 3 times when it ran at Saturday matinee double features at the old, neighborhood movie theaters in Philly. I was around 7 or 8 then. Ahh, great memories!

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Lunkhead on January 29th, 2009, 9:54 am

THE WEREWOLF (1956)
THE VAMPIRE (1957)
BUCK PRIVATES (1941)
JACK THE GIANT KILLER (1962)
THEY MADE ME A CRIMINAL (1939)
~ a wonderful film with John Garfield and the Dead End Kids

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby Preston on January 30th, 2009, 9:12 pm

Lunkhead wrote:Hey, everyone's entitled to their opinions. It's funny you mentioning Kerwin Mathews as I just watched JACK THE GIANT KILLER (1962) last night. I already had a taped version from AMC, but this viewing was from the MGM DVD which I recently purchased from Big Lots for just $3.00! Great, clear, widescreen print. Big Lots has been selling many great titles at that price. They seem to rotate their stock and you never know what you might find.

JACK THE GIANT KILLER is a film my friends and I just flipped over when we were kids. We went to see it at least 2 or 3 times when it ran at Saturday matinee double features at the old, neighborhood movie theaters in Philly. I was around 7 or 8 then. Ahh, great memories!

Ironically, if you ask me, in both the Sinbad and Jack movies, I found the villain more appealing than the hero. I'm referring to the actor Torin Thatcher. Especially when he played the villainous sorceror, Sokurah, I really enjoyed him. Because both Torin's physicality and his voice both perfectly fit what a sorceror should look like.

By the way, Lunk, did you notice Torin Thatcher in the Star Trek episode "Return of the Archons"?? What a surprise that was to me.
Preston
Mutant

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema