Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE (1931)

DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE (1931)

Dig classic monster, horror & sci-fi flicks? Come howl at the moon with everything from Universal Monsters to low-budget fright fests. Don't forget the garlic and keep watching the skies!

Moderator: Xenorama

DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE (1931)

Postby moe-jo on October 9th, 2010, 5:38 pm

This adaptation of the novel is my absolute favorite. It was made pre-code, so that makes it even more fun to watch!
"I am not what I am." Iago, from William Shakespeare's Othello
moe-jo
Mongoose

Re: DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE (1931)

Postby Lunkenstein on October 9th, 2010, 11:01 pm

I agree. This is an outright classic. Growing up, it was never shown on TV in my area. Even the 1941 Spencer Tracy version was only on a couple times. The one I was most familiar with back in the '60s was a television adaption with Jack Palance which I recall being quite good. And now I haven't seen that since then.

Anyhow, getting back to the Fredric March version, I had seen pictures from it in various monster magazines growing up and always wanted to see the film. I finally got to view it after buying the DVD a few years back. It is amazing - that first transformation scene is especially impressive. March deservedly won best actor for his portrayal. I'm going to have to pull the DVD out again soon.

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Postby moe-jo on October 11th, 2010, 5:22 pm

I need to see if the library here at school has this movie. I missed it on TV last Tuesday thanks to satellite television.
moe-jo
Mongoose

Postby moe-jo on October 17th, 2010, 7:40 pm

I finally got to see this movie! I downloaded the video player on veoh.com and I was able to watch it! It was wicked amazing as always. Fredric March was hot and Mr. Hyde was kind of cute.

I'm an English major, so I like to over-analyze every movie I see and every book I read. I strongly believe that if this were not an experiment, and Mr. Hyde were a separate person, that he would not be so evil, because really, all this is is an experiment by Jekyll to discover his bad side, and Hyde is being controlled by Jekyll to do evil things.
moe-jo
Mongoose

Postby Lunkenstein on October 18th, 2010, 6:22 am

I should watch this again soon. The DVD also has the Spencer Tracy film on the flip side. Both are great films, but the March version is definitely tops!

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Return to Double Chiller Theater