Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1956)

INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1956)

Dig classic monster, horror & sci-fi flicks? Come howl at the moon with everything from Universal Monsters to low-budget fright fests. Don't forget the garlic and keep watching the skies!

Moderator: Xenorama

INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1956)

Postby Lunkenstein on January 26th, 2006, 8:38 am

Another '50s SciFi classic. Kevin McCarthy is excellent in this tense tale of alien organisms taking over a small California town. The paranoia element is high and creates a very claustrophobic feel. Directed by Don Siegel who would later go on to DIRTY HARRY (1971). The ending scenes are especially memorable and classic. Just watched this again the other night and was wondering who else loves this film.

The 1978 Philip Kaufman version is excellent also. (It was the first movie I took my then-future wife to on our second date. She realized early what she was getting into! :wink: ) I like them both [the films], but there's nothing quite like the original. Never saw the 3rd take on this story, but have read it's not up to these.
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Hitchcock's Variation

Postby Preston on February 10th, 2006, 3:47 pm

To Lunk: I thought it might intrigue you that there was an episode in the old Alfred Hitchcock tv-series that struck me as a variation of sorts of INVASION OF THE BODY-SNATCHERS. The Hitchcock episode was entitled SPECIAL DELIVERY. Saw it over 30 years ago but still remember the plot vividly. In it, a young boy has a hobby of growing MUSHROOMS. As the story develops, people begin behaving strangely aloof. At the same time, it is also seen that the hobby of growing those mushrooms has become a popular hobby as more and more people embrace it as their hobby. I still remember the scene where the boy's Father speculates on the possibility of an invasion from outer space, but he is scoffed at and ridiculed.

That Alfred Hitchcock TV-series is now available on DVD (Only season one), but what ANNOYS me is that the box does Not list the episode-titles, so I don't know whether they include that episode of SPECIAL DELIVERY or not.
Anyhow, it's interesting to realize that Hitchcock also tackled science-fiction. In fact, I read in the recent issue of FILM FAX magazine that during the 1950s that Hitchcock had expressed interest in filming WAR OF THE WORLDS! But for some reason, he changed his mind.
Preston
Mutant

Postby Lunkenstein on February 10th, 2006, 8:07 pm

Very interesting Preston. Not sure if I ever saw that Hitchcock episode, though I may have read about it. I would love to get the HITCHCOCK series DVDs eventually. I saw many of the episodes years ago, but it's been so long. Wow, I wonder what a Hitchcock WAR OF THE WORLDS would have been like? Probably fantastic, but I'm still grateful for the wonderful George Pal / Byron Haskin (OUTER LIMITS alumni) version.
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Postby Weasel on April 1st, 2006, 11:48 pm

I thought Donald Sutherland was great in the '78 version of this. Too bad he didn't do too many horror films. He was kinda scary to look at too! :wink:
To you, to you my life, my love, my all!
Weasel
Pumpkinbrain

Postby Wilytank on September 16th, 2006, 10:59 am

Hey, Destoy all humans 2 has body snatching.
Official spammer executioner
My tools of execution...
Wilytank
Termite

Postby sickdrjoe on April 2nd, 2007, 2:08 pm

The Hitchcock Show version was based on a Ray Bradbury story, "Boys! Grow Giant Mushrooms In Your Cellar!"

Re BODY SNATCHERS and its remake: it would be a worthy subject for further study - to wit, sf is the one genre that actually lends itself to remakes. Both the 1956 original and the 78 remake are outstanding films that stand alone individually but can be watched back to back without one overshadowing the other.

Same holds true for the two versions of THE THING, the two versions of THE FLY, the two KING KONGs (well, almost), THE LAST MAN ON EARTH/OMEGA MAN, the two SOLARISes (albeit radically different takes on the Lem novel),. etc etc.

Unfortunately Tim Burton botched PLANET OF THE APES and broke the string.

Pretty remarkable in that the vast majority of remakes are either completely unnecessary (MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE, PSYCHO) or complete abortions (WICKER MAN, STEPFORD WIVES) ....or both (THE IN LAWS, THE OUT OF TOWNERS).
sickdrjoe
Pumpkinbrain

Postby Lunkenstein on April 2nd, 2007, 10:19 pm

Welcome Doc. Good to have you here.

I pretty much agree on the remakes you mentioned. There was a nice streak for a while [especially during the '70s and '80s], but I haven't enjoyed many recent ones.

I thought Jackson's KING KONG was very good in spots, but way too long. Some scenes were crying to be cut, such as the Bronto stampede. If edited down and less over-indulgent [Kong fighting 3 T-Rex's while holding Ann and swinging from vines], it had the potential to be a fine homage to the original. The Empire State Building scene was impressive. For me personally though, the original KONG is something that can't be topped. I'd like to see KONG '05 again, but when I think about that length it holds me back.

The remakes of BODY SNATCHERS, THE THING, THE FLY and LAST MAN ON EARTH are ones I really like. Haven't seen any of the others you mentioned expect STEPFORD WIVES, which gave me some laughs, but certainly wasn't up to the original.

Image Image
Lunkenstein
Fiend Behind the Face

Postby Afa Dollah on April 3rd, 2007, 12:31 pm

I thought the last Kong remake was pretty good, but have to agree about the length. WICKER MAN was a huge disappointment; it pretty much stunk. What a letdown. STEPFORD they played for laughs, which is okay but creepy moments? Nah.
"Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape!"
Afa Dollah
Imbecile

Return to Double Chiller Theater