Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/lunkhead/www/www/board/phpBB2/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
 Lunkhead's Lair • View topic - #10 - HOI POLLOI (1935)

Lunkhead's Lair

Stooge & Monster Forums

Skip to content

#10 - HOI POLLOI (1935)

The shorts and nothing but the shorts (Stooge shorts that is). Slowly we'll post - short by short, week by week. The current short is A DUCKING THEY DID GO

Moderator: DangerkittyToTheRescue

#10 - HOI POLLOI (1935)

Postby Lunkhead on June 12th, 2005, 2:28 am

Short number 10 is an all-time great. Two professors bet on whether average street joes can be transformed into society gentlemen; the stooges are chosen as guinea pigs for the experiment. The training includes learning? proper grammar and table manners, plus a hilarious dance lesson which ends up out the window and into a fountain. Months later, the boys make their debut at a high-society party to determine if the one professor was successful. Needless to say, Moe, Larry & Curly cause lots of mayhem as their gentleman status fails miserably. Loads of funny scenes, including Curly dancing with a spring attached to his rear (causing him to bounce back up after falling) and Moe punishing often with slaps-a-plenty. This tale would be remade twice as HALF-WITS' HOLIDAY (1947) and PIE AND GUYS (1958 ), but this was soitenly the best version.
SLAP! SLAP! <<Moe double-slaps Curly & Larry>>

"What was that for? We didn't do anything." ~ :larry1:

"That's in case you do and I'm not around." ~ :moe1:
"Cut yourself a slice of throat" ~ :curly1:
"You must believe in the hypothesis of occult power..." :concerned:
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

#10 - HOI POLLOI (1935)

Postby Lunkhead on June 12th, 2005, 2:29 am

NOTE: THESE REPLIES ARE FROM THE LUNKHEAD'S ZONE EZBOARD

Thomas Hedison
Nitwit
(4/22/05 7:23 am)
Reply | Edit | Del #10 Hoi Polloi (1935)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This tale would be remade twice as HALF-WITS' HOLIDAY (1947) and PIE AND GUYS (1958 ), but this was soitenly the best version.

True. It's mind-blowing to imagine if this short was never filmed and "Half-Wit's Holiday" was the only version Curly filmed, or to imagine how Columbia would decide to wrap up "Hoi Polloi" if it was filmed in 1946 ('47 might be the release date) and "Half-Wit's Holiday" was never filmed. I barely remember Joe Besser's version, "Pies and Guys", but it would be interesting to see how he would play Curly's part in "Half-Wit's".

Anyway, the storytelling is good here, and I don't think any other comedy team could've done this short, period. It was made for the Stooges. The other teams either seem too "gentlemanly" or there's some other reason that it wouldn't seem right for them. I don't know if you could call the Marx Brothers "gentlemen", but I can't picture them doing this kind of story. There was also no better third Stooge for it than Curly. Besser's atttempt was okay, but nothing to rave about. Shemp wasn't wild like Curly, so I couldn't really picture him doing it.

That fat lady always cracks me up... first during her dance with Curly and their slap fight, then towards the end when she tries to imitate Curly's running-in-place thing and his woo-woo!

Watch when Moe dances with actress Phyliss Crane (pictured above in the black dress). When they fall, it looks like Crane goes face-first into the floor! The camera went off quickly when that happened.

I love when Larry meets Professsor Nichol's 2 daughters... "Brother, can you spare a Nichol?"

Overall, a great short, and the Curly era wouldn't be the same without either of it's versions of this tale, IMO.

Edited by: Thomas Hedison at: 4/22/05 7:33 am

Megaloman
Lamebrain
(4/22/05 7:38 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
#10 Hoi Polloi (1935)
i concur with the analyses above.

David
http://megaloman.proboards24.com/index.cgi

DangerkittyToTheRescue
Nitwit
(4/26/05 8:48 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: #10 Hoi Polloi (1935)
Man,,,,”Permit me to transfer you into gentlemen.”

Curly,,,,What happened? You’re all canned up!”
Moe,,,,”You’re all buttoned up!” Smack

Moe,,,,”See the little deer? Does the little deer have a little doe?”
Curly,,,,”Why certainly, two bucks!”

Curly,,,,”Care to dance?”
Homely Lady,,,,”Why certainly.”
Curly,,,,”I changed my mind, we’ll sit this one out.”
....later....
Curly,,,,”Thanks for the dance, now go cut yourself a slice of throat.”

Lady,,,,”Someday you will find the eternal flame.”
Moe,,,,”Lady, I’ve found it.”
Moe,,,,”What are you going to do with it?”
Moe,,,,”Get rid of it!”

And the spring sticks to Curly’s pants during the dance scene, Curly “springing" off the floor and sliding backwards into people. Love to know how many takes that took to film.

stoogefan65
Wiseguy
(4/29/05 3:06 am)
A funny short. It is probably on many fans lists of favorite shorts.

DangerkittyToTheRescue
Nitwit
(4/30/05 8:38 am)
Spike TV just played this short on their Stooge Slap Happy Hour! I still laugh out loud at the Curly "spring into action" sofa spring on the rear gag. If it was me that was dancing with the big lady then I'd have the spring on the front!
Nyuk nyuk nyuk, oh I'm a wise guy!
Last edited by Lunkhead on June 15th, 2005, 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

EX-cellent

Postby Xenorama on June 12th, 2005, 3:07 pm

looking good getting all these over here. more more more!
or should that be Moe Moe Moe?

David
remind me to annihilate you later.

stop on by my message board:

Xenorama Board
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama
Daci's human

EX-cellent

Postby Lunkhead on June 12th, 2005, 5:07 pm

:teeth1: THANKS!
"I'm telling you man. Who is on first."

Image Image
Lunkhead
Grand Imbezzle

Postby MoeHowardFan on May 6th, 2006, 8:52 pm

Larry,,,, "Oh, see the sat. Does the mouse see the cat? Yeah, you dirty RAT!"
Moe,,,, "Who?" (SMACK)

That was the funniest part I've never seen, but I seen in Half-wits Holiday once or twice on AMC.
"Oh, darling. Leave you parents and fly away with me." -- Moe Howard
"Can we take our pet kitten with us?" -- Jim Perry
"Ooh, Can we? -- Myself
MoeHowardFan
Pumpkinbrain

Postby Wilytank on September 12th, 2006, 2:48 pm

I don't even know what Hoi Polloi means, but it gets an 8 out of 10.

Can you spell cat?

:curly1: Soitenly!

Spell it.

:curly6: K-I-T-T-Y pussy.
Official spammer executioner
My tools of execution...
Wilytank
Termite

#10 - HOI POLLOI (1935)

Postby Xenorama on March 8th, 2008, 3:29 am

just another load of fun!

David